• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • edwardc
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2009

Premature Pump Failure?

Last December, near the start of our trip down the ICW, I noticed the weep hole on the coolant flange pump was showing some moisture. Not wanting to rebuild it onboard, I ordered a whole new pump and installed it after Christmas.

Fast forward to May. After our recent HX failure, I've been keeping an eagle eye on the temperature. When I noticed it starting to creep up from its usual rock-steady 180, I started checking. I found the coolant level was down by over half a gallon!! A quick check turned up the culprit. The 5-month old flange pump was leaking from the weep hole at a rate of 2 drops per second!! I nursed the system to our next anchorage, adding another half gallon of coolant over the next four hours.

Once anchored, I got to work. I got out the old pump. I didn't have a flange pump rebuild kit onboard ( why would I need one with a new pump?), so I filched the seals from a pedestal pump rebuild kit and got the old pump working.

But why did the new pump fail so soon? I have it intact for a post-mortem when I get back, but I'm at a loss. At less than 5 months and about 300 hrs on it, it shouldn't have failed at all, let alone as abruptly as it did.
    @(^.^)@ Ed
    1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
    with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic
  • Administrator
    MMI Webmaster
    • Oct 2004

Give Don a call, Ed. I think he would probably like to see it.

If the pump is still within the warranty coverage, don't hesitate to mention it.

Bill

Comment

• edwardc
      Afourian MVP
      • Aug 2009

Thanks Bill. I've gotten in touch with Don, and am going to send him the pump for analysis.

I'm wondering if there isn't some sort of reaction between the rubber in the seals and the type of antifreeze used. I'm not using anything exotic. Just prestone automotive, mixed 50/50.
      @(^.^)@ Ed
      1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
      with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X