Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 138.207.175.58
Old 05-04-2019, 09:39 AM
MMI Webmaster

Squeal on the exhaust side of the engine

From Don's "Long Shots" folder:

Quote:
Sent: Saturday, May 4, 2019 1:32 AM
To: Don Moyer <don@moyermarine.com>
Subject: Re: squeal on the exhaust side of the engine

FIXED!!

I did pick up a stethoscope as you suggested and much to my disappointment, the squealing sound was coming from the carburetor side of the engine. I know there are not any bearings or other moving parts on that side so it baffled me for a bit. Then I remembered that when I put the carburetor back on the engine earlier, the back bolt felt like it could have been stripped. I did get some tension on it so I assumed it would was enough. A year ago, I put a helicoil into that hole to replace the threads but now it was feeling striped again. I wondered if air was getting sucked into the carburetor and causing a whistle rather than a metal to metal screech. So I started to remove the carburetor again and after the front bolt was removed, the carburetor, fell off. The back bolt was barely holding anything.

I now believe that the sound that seemed very much like a metal to metal screech was indeed a whistle. When I put it all back with a new helicoil, everything worked without a sound. Then engine also idled and didn't race as it did earlier.

Thank you again for your help with this. I'm sure you would have found the issue immediately if you were here. I'm just glad that I eventually figured it out.

Xxxxx

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 4:16 PM Xxxxx <xxxxx> wrote:
I have not used a stethoscope yet. I’m planning to pick one up this evening. I’ll be sure to let you know how that turns out.

Thanks again.

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 12:30 PM Don Moyer <don@moyermarine.com> wrote:
Xxxxx, did you get around to trying to use a stethoscope?

Don

Sent: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 1:47 PM
To: Don Moyer <don@moyermarine.com>
Subject: Re: squeal on the exhaust side of the engine

Thank you again for your phone call. Here is an update:

I took the flywheel cover off.

•. The new starter is disengaging as it should so that is not the issue.

•. I also took the flywheel off and it didn't have any markings on it where a bolt may have been rubbing.

•. I took the belt off and pushed a piece of wood outward against the accessory drive pulley. The screeching sound did not change at all.

The was one other factor that I forgot about earlier. When I changed the plugs, I accidentally crossed the wires on the number 3 and 4 plugs. I turned it over and a spark shot out of the spark arrester. I wonder if that torqued the drive shaft in a way that could have damaged the main bearing. Any thoughts?

On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 11:31 PM Xxxxx <xxxxx> wrote:
You bet Don. I would be glad talk nearly any time. 11:00 a.m. EST would be great. I'm on the West coast so that's 8:00 to me.

The sound is a very loud and high pitched squeal which at first, sounded like it was coming from the flywheel. It actually sounds more like it's coming from the carburetor side of the engine but I'm not aware of any bearings on that side. I did take the belt off just to be sure and the sound didn't change. The accessory drive pulley is very firm. It doesn't budge by my hand. But the sounds is really not coming from that side of the engine. I'm baffled.

I can be reached at xxxxx. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

Xxxxx

On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 3:01 PM Don Moyer <don@moyermarine.com> wrote:
Sorry, but I can’t hear what you’re hearing. I’ll call you tomorrow if you give me a good time.

Don Moyer

Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 12:40 PM
To: don@moyermarine.com
Subject: squeal on the exhaust side of the engine

Hello again. I've been constantly upgrading parts to my Atomic Four. Yesterday, I added a new starter. But right after I got it started again, I heard a loud squeal. I read the forums regarding the accessory drive bearing but this sound is coming from the other side of the engine. Do you have any ideas? I have attached a very short video so you can hear the sound.

Thanks for any information,

Xxxxx
xxxxx

Last edited by Administrator; 05-04-2019 at 12:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Administrator For This Useful Post:
nyvoyager (05-05-2019)