Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Electrical

#1   IP: 24.152.132.140
Old 09-21-2018, 10:35 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
It really makes a difference

We have talked many times about battery management and charging schemes, ACR's vs. manual switch(es), isolated engine start battery or just use the house banks and different types of alternators.

I'm in the minority with my preference of a dedicated start battery, further in the minority with manual battery switches, a single wire, self excite alternator and probably the only one who has had an excite wire added to a self excite alternator energized off of the solenoid R terminal. The benefit of the added excite wire is the alternator leaps into production at the hit of the start button, no need to rev the engine to wake the alternator up. I also enjoy an easy starting engine, it fires right off within a second of cranking regardless of layoff. Well, part of what makes it easy starting is minimal alternator load upon startup courtesy of the dedicated start battery.

Last weekend I started the engine on the house bank as a test to see if there was any difference. There was and it was significant. The engine labored immediately upon startup with a 49 amp alternator load, like starting in gear. My usual starting routine with the dedicated start battery results in a 10 amp load on startup. The difference in dead cold, choke on engine performance was more than noticeable, it took maybe 30 seconds to gain her feet and smooth out compared to the normal 3 seconds.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ndutton For This Useful Post:
Administrator (09-22-2018), edwardc (09-22-2018)
  #2   IP: 71.208.62.184
Old 09-22-2018, 08:24 PM
Afourian MVP

I use a group 24 starting battery for a dedicated starting battery. Then I have the house bank of 2 Trojan T 105s (this can change when the batteries need replacement).

I use a manual battery switch, batt 1, batt 2 or both. I start on batt 1 and after the engine is at operating temp I switch to batt 2.

I installed a Balmer 100 amp alternator and a smart 3 step ARS 3 regulator 20 years ago. It still works great.

The regulator delays the alternator start up for a minute. I can hear when it kicks in.

I have always wanted to hook up a manual excite that I could use in the case of when I need to have as much power as possible. I just have that on my list for 20 years.
But I did hook up a "go baby go" button to a nitrous injection system for when I want to pull skiers.
  #3   IP: 24.152.132.140
Old 09-22-2018, 08:34 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by romantic comedy View Post
The regulator delays the alternator start up for a minute. I can hear when it kicks in
Concur, minimizing the load at start makes the engine happier.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others