Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Cooling System

#1   IP: 129.83.31.1
Old 06-14-2014, 11:52 AM

Love the Moyer Flushing Kit

I am new to the forum and wanted to share a lesson I learned the hard way.

When I first admired the C&C 27 that I subsequently purchased, the PO said it had been on the hard about two years, having missed the previous season. Prior to purchase, we ran the engine while still on the hard, via the typical approach: routing the RWC intake to a bucket fed by a hose.
Engine started easily, idled strong, flow out the transom. I did not know enough to check compression, oil pressure or the myriad things I have since learned from this forum. I bought the boat, and thinking all was well with the engine, I focused my attention on the other things (e.g., stuck roller furler) the boat needed to complete the 20 mile trip to my mooring.

I launch the boat. Ten minutes into the shakedown cruise, I hear a noticeable pop but not sure from where. I scramble around, engine compartment appears OK, so I start opening cockpit lockers. In port locker, I find the source of the problem: thru the haze of exhaust, I can see that the PLASTIC lift muffler has melted and the outtake hose has separated from the unit – exhaust gas and water are spilling out. Yes, the lift muffler was plastic.

I replaced it with the Moyer lift muffler, and while ordering, I learned from Ken the importance of flushing, back flushing and acid flushing which I did. At that point, I did not even know that this forum existed. Ken alerted me to this as well. I recently purchased the Moyer flushing kit – which is fantastic for flushing the cooling system. I had been flushing from the T-fitting at the water jacket, the thermostat housing and the manifold and that seemed to be effective. But flushing from the drain plugs in the block, that is the way to go and the Moyer kit makes that very easy. Highly recommended.

Hope my experience and this info helps someone avoid a similar issue.
  #2   IP: 98.124.126.219
Old 06-14-2014, 12:34 PM

I believe I have the flushing kit on my A4. I have what looks like a garden hose fitting which extrudes beneath the alternator. But I have no clear picture on how to use it and if the process involves unscrewing block plugs which have not been opened for years (boat was 8 years on hard before I bought last year) I am doubly concerned. I suppose a call to Ken is in order. Maybe next week...
  #3   IP: 129.83.31.2
Old 06-14-2014, 01:01 PM

Rbyham - sounds like you do have the flushing kit. With a garden hose fitting on the extension from the aft drain plug in the block, then likely the PO purchased the Moyer kit or made similar modifications on his own. Something to check - what is the shape of the head on those drain plugs? The Moyer kit comes with brass plugs with a hex head making them very easy to manipulate. The previous plugs in my block (I am unsure whether or not they were original) were square heads.

Agreed that you want to be careful removing those plugs, given their unknown history.

Here is a suggestion - repeatedly hit them with your penetrant of choice throughout the season. That way, come time for winterizing (assuming you haul out for winter), you will have prepped the plugs for removal.
When I used the Moyer flushing kit for the first time, I discovered that the existing 6” extension on the aft plug had corroded and begun to leak. I could not see it behind the alternator and did not know to look for leaks there.
Removal of those plugs allows for a much more effective draining of the block in the winter, and a more effective flushing as part of your periodic maintenance of the cooling system which is well documented in the Moyer Manual.

But for now, if you currently have good flow thru your cooling system and you maintain a good temp while cruising, then go sailing!