Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Fuel System

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   IP: 71.179.5.155
Old 09-30-2018, 10:03 PM

The Ongoing Carb Saga...

I've been running the engine at least every weekend, to keep things from getting gummed up or creating other problems. After the fuel pump valves stuck, somebody recommended shutting off the fuel and letting the engine burn off whatever is in the lines during shutdown. I did that last weekend (**NOTE: an A4 will run for quite a while before the lines and filter are empty**).

We had a beautiful weekend, so I went down first thing this morning, opened the boat up, took off the sail covers, and got everything ready to go. Turned on the fuel valve and the engine fired right up, ran for about 30 seconds, and died. Tried several times, but it wouldn't start again.

I ran home, grabbed my spare carburetor, cleaned it because I didn't do that with the last change, a few months ago, and swapped them out. During the swap, when I removed the scavenge tube, about a cup of gas came out of the carburetor throat. I'm not sure whether shutting off the fuel and draining it caused the float valve to stick open or what, but I don't understand how that much fuel would have made its way into the throat in 30 seconds of running.