What tools do I need/How should I prep for cleaning / fixing the carb this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JOHN COOKSON
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Nov 2008

If You Have A Zenith Carb

LS2
    Here's an exploded parts view so you can start to understand what parts we are referring to. If you decide to a full on rebuild the exploded parts and attached directions will be helpful. I've never seen the Moyer video. Maybe some or all of this information is covered in it.

TRUE GRIT
    Attached Files

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

One More Thing

If you are tempted to remove brass jets from the housings take the time to modify a screwdriver to be specific for each jet. They can be very tight in the castings and you need the most perfect tool fit for successful removal.

Comment

• LemonShark2
        • Mar 2016

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
        I agree.

In this case the plan is to just clean out the passages not the whole enchilada disassembly and rebuild and substitute a can of compressed carburetor cleaner for the compressed air. I think so anyway.

TRUE GRIT
        Yeah, the plan is just to clean the inside with the carb cleaner, I can also try and shoot some air through with a can of compressed air, if that would help at all...

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by LemonShark2 View Post
          Yeah, the plan is just to clean the inside with the carb cleaner, I can also try and shoot some air through with a can of compressed air, if that would help at all...
          Even better, shoot starting fluid thru the passages.

Comment

• LemonShark2
            • Mar 2016

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
            It looked to me to be a water leak from the rear most manifold barb area. Naturally I can't prove this. We'll let the owner comment.

TRUE GRIT
            Is the water callout coming from this visual? Coincidentally, that's just about the area that I had seen "Smoke" coming from. Perhaps it was water vapor?
            I do think there is a water leak, though. I'll track it down this weekend. Does this end up being a major project?
            Attached Files

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

Not too major. I did mine a couple years ago and Ajax did his this winter. The manifold is held to the block with three studs..it is possible the aft stud is leaking, which is what may be happening in that picture.
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

• LemonShark2
                • Mar 2016

I just downloaded and watch the Carb video, and it was really good to put into visual what you have all be saying regarding cleaning each of the jets. He outline 5 different troubleshooting issues, and I figure Ill just go at each of the things he Don recommended to address while I have it off.

Seems like the project shouldn't take as long as I had thought!

Comment

• jbsoukup
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Jan 2012

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
                  If you are tempted to remove brass jets from the housings take the time to modify a screwdriver to be specific for each jet. They can be very tight in the castings and you need the most perfect tool fit for successful removal.
                  in my early years of resurrecting gummed up carbs, I ruined a number of jets by not following this sage advise. those brass jets are soft! you might have to soak the carb in cleaner to get them out. gentle heat also helps.

also, if you're going to hold the jet and squirt air through it, do it in a big cardboard box so if it flies out of your hand you will be able to find it.
                  guess how I figured that out.
                  sigpicjohn
                  '77 catalina 30 #783
                  the only way to be sure is to make sure

Comment

• ndutton
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

I just downloaded and watch the Carb video, and it was really good to put into visual what you have all be saying
                    Best $12.50 you ever spent I'd guess.
                    Neil
                    1977 Catalina 30
                    San Pedro, California
                    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                      • Nov 2008

Welcome To The Wonderful World Of Sail Boat Ownership

Seems like the project shouldn't take as long as I had thought!
                      I hope you're right. Boat projects have a nasty habit of not always going as planned. Sometimes you luck out. Sometimes you don't.
                      Let's see here: We have a sick carburetor. This led to the discovery of a water leak. What will be next?
                      I guess that over 30 years of sail boat and A4 ownership I sound a bit cynical but I've been around the block a few times.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• BadaBing
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
                        YES and unless you really must, DO NOT remove the idle jet. Just be sjre you can.shoot.carb clewner through it. EYE PROTECTION IS A MUST!
                        Last edited by BadaBing; 03-26-2016, 11:18 AM.
                        Bill
                        1974, Tartan 30, Unchained Melody
                        www.CanvasWorks.US

Comment

• BadaBing
                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
                          Yes...it looks like it. You also have the "extra" drain plug in yours in the bottom of the fuel bowl. The plug in the "back" that you can't quite see is the main jet plug I referenced earlier..it uses a washer..the plug you can see in your pic is a tapered thread plug with no washer.

If I remember correctly, you said you had a Moyer in-line polishing filter?? Some of us with mech pumps have removed the hard line (the hoop) between the fuel pump outlet and the carb inlet and gone to soft fuel hose and put the filter in between. I also have a pressure gauge.

Man that is a pretty carb. Al.ost tempts me to buy a new carb just to loom that good, almost.
                          Bill
                          1974, Tartan 30, Unchained Melody
                          www.CanvasWorks.US

Comment

• sastanley
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Sep 2008

Thanks...it is nice, isn't it!?

Bill..that is in fact a recent (2014) Moyer carb. As it turns out, my issue was NOT the carb, but I was starting to throw parts at the motor and a new carb was one of them while I searched around for answers. So, I have a nice freshy one now, and my old one is the backup.
                            -Shawn
                            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                            sigpic

Comment

• LemonShark2
                              • Mar 2016

Replacing leaky manifold on hot exaust

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
                              Not too major. I did mine a couple years ago and Ajax did his this winter. The manifold is held to the block with three studs..it is possible the aft stud is leaking, which is what may be happening in that picture.
                              In terms of replacing the manifold if needed, would It be best to just purchase a new hot Exhaust? (conveniently the perfect match to my Catalina 27...) Is this what you did? Its listed under the exhaust section in the store.

That whole section looks pretty corroded on mine.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                                • Nov 2008

In terms of replacing the manifold if needed, would It be best to just purchase a new hot Exhaust? (conveniently the perfect match to my Catalina 27...) Is this what you did? Its listed under the exhaust section in the store.
                                That whole section looks pretty corroded on mine.
                                LS2
                                The manifold is part of the engine. It came with the engine from universal. What is after the manifold was added by the manufacturer. The first thing to do is determine the source of the leak. Maybe you can use a mirror and a flashlight to see where the water is coming from. If the water is coming from the manifold you could try torqueing the 3 nuts. If this doesn't work or is ambiguous a pressure test of the manifold will tell the story real quick. The reason I say all this is if the manifold needs to come off you can hold on the new hot section until the manifold is on the bench. It will be a lot easier if the manifold is on the bench. If water has been running over the bolts that hold the flange to the manifold ( I couldn't see from the picture) it is going to take some SWAT team tactics to get them loose. Much harder to do on the boat.

In terms of the hot section itself, from your description, it's due for replacement soon. It's easy to buy the sections of pipe that you need at a hardware store and build it yourself. I've rebuilt the hot section on my Cat 27 twice and will be glad to give you some specific pointers when the time comes.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

Working...
                                X