Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Electrical

#1   IP: 99.57.130.199
Old 06-13-2010, 06:04 AM
Frequent Contributor

Ignition Protection and ATO/ATC Fuses

Hi Folks,

I am investigating the installation of a number of fuses in my A4's engine compartment. Reading the excellent literature in the forum and what is available from MMI, I see that ATO / ATC fuses are used quite often (including kits sold through the store.) However, as I look into these fuses, I don't see any indication that they are "Ignition Protected" such that they are safe for use in gasoline engine environments.

Is their appropriate use in gasoline environments just an understood fact given that they were developed for the automotive industry? Or is it less about the fuse and more about the fuse block/holder? What can I do to ensure that these fuses are safe in a gasoline environment?

Note that my entire quest comes from the fact that I need to fuse an 8 gauge connection from my ignition safe battery charger to my battery at a rating of 25 amps. I don't actually care about the fuse format, but ATO/ATC seems to be the only thing close to appropriate that can fit this requirement (perhaps glass fuses, but I haven't looked into them very much.)

One source I found states that as long as the fuse I use is ATC I will be safe given that the "C" stands for "Closed" where the "O" in ATO stands for "Open" (I assume that means that they are open to the atmosphere.) If this is the case, (and since I figured I would go ahead and fuse the recommended A4 wiring harness lines recommended by MMI with their ATO/ATC parts,) are the fuses in the MMI catalogue ATO or ATC?

Thanks for any advice you can provide on these fuses, or the virtue of other fuses in a gasoline environment.

Asa
  #2   IP: 142.68.248.207
Old 06-13-2010, 06:53 AM
Afourian MVP

Check the Blue Sea website, if you have not already. They have a lot of useful information about marine fuses. Sorry I cannot answer your specific question.
  #3   IP: 99.57.130.199
Old 06-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Frequent Contributor

Hi Rigspelt,

Yes, the Blue Sea website has some excellent information on fuses. I found their quick guide particularly useful.

Quick Guide to Blue Sea Systems Fuses and Fuse Blocks

It does confirm what fuse designs are inherently Ignition Protected, and ATO/ATC is unfortunately not one of them. So it would seem that we should not be using this fuse design in our engine compartments (purely based upon this document.)

However, certain fuse blocks by Blue Sea Systems that use ATO/ATC fuses are listed as Ignition Protected, such as their SafteyHub.

SafetyHub Fuse Block

So it does seem that the fuse housing plays an important role in this equation.

Thank you very much for the advice. Blue Sea Systems certainly does have some excellent documentation.

Asa

Tags
atc, ato, fuse, gasoline, ignition protection