Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Drive Train / Propellers
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

#1   IP: 69.250.5.129
Old 11-21-2006, 07:34 AM
Frequent Contributor

Straight drive to V-drive

Based on everything I have read so far it looks like it is possible to change a straight drive engine over to a v drive by changing everything from the tail shaft on. Could someone confirm this for me? I have found a couple of good runners to replace my late model A4 but they all have straight drives and I need a V drive. The V-drive I took off my engine is in good condition.
  #2   IP: 38.118.52.41
Old 11-21-2006, 08:48 AM

It is indeed possible to move a "V-Drive" reversing gear assembly over to a direct drive engine.

I'm attaching a rather lengthy pdf file of the essential steps in removing and replacing a reversing gear, in case you don't have access to one of our service and overhaul manuals. The reversing gears themselves are identical except for the tail shaft which is a splined shaft in the "V-Drive" configuration.

Unless you plan to follow through and configure your current engine with the direct drive from the replacement engine, you can ignore the note in step 2 regarding removal of the output coupling. You can save quite a bit of time by simply removing the entire reversing gear with the output coupling attached during the transfer. Once the "V-Drive" gear assembly is removed from the current engine, the reversing gear comes off quite easily and installs on the replacement just as easily.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Removing and replacing reversing gear.pdf (16.1 KB, 869 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Don Moyer For This Useful Post:
Rando1201 (05-13-2020)