Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Polls

View Poll Results: Have you ever been boarded and inspected by the Coast Guard?
Never. 40 64.52%
Yes, but it was more than five years ago. 9 14.52%
Yes, within the last five years. 4 6.45%
Yes, within the last year. 9 14.52%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

#1   IP: 75.198.154.172
Old 11-12-2008, 11:45 AM
MMI Webmaster

Ever been boarded and inspected?

The flame arrestor thread got me thinking. I've never been boarded, but it surely seems lots of other Forum members have.

What's your experience?

Bill

Last edited by Administrator; 11-12-2008 at 11:49 AM.
  #2   IP: 66.161.32.165
Old 11-12-2008, 01:19 PM

Bill,
I was boarded about 3 months after I bought my boat. It was a good experience, although a little nerve racking at first because I did not know they could do that... They were very helpful and professional young men. This experience is one of the first things that started leading my number 1 son, almost 17 now, to join the Coasties after high school. He saw a small slice of what they got to do, and has been excited about it ever since. I will be interested to see what others have experienced.
www.betterbmp.com
  #3   IP: 206.40.166.218
Old 11-12-2008, 05:51 PM

Bill,

We haven't had the boat long enough for me to participate meaningfully in the poll. When I was a kid, I got picked on a lot in my E. M. White runabout, but that doesn't count now. I know from what I hear people say here in Marblehead that the possiblity of being boarded is taken very seriously, but I'm not aware of any sailor being boarded recently while sailing in these waters. I have no statistical or other basis to think what follows, but it does seem to me that being boarded is something that happens when you are away from home. I'd be curious to know if others' experiences bear this out or not.

Mark S
  #4   IP: 193.253.220.149
Old 11-13-2008, 03:56 AM
Afourian MVP

I was boarded once, many years ago (1992), while sailing between Anacapa Island and Santa Barbara Island in the Channel Islands chain off of Santa Barbara, CA.

While impressive- the boarding was accomplished by heavily armed Coasties (automatic weapons at the ready) with a high speed Zodiac coming from a cruiser pulled along side my sailboat- the boarding party was nothing but professional and polite. They were only interested in searching for drugs and verifying our basic safety equipment (life vests etc.) Thank goodness we had the life vests and fire extinguisher because the boat itself was far from a model of security (no life lines, no winches, one giant cleat aft to which we tied all our lines, painter and sheets...).

The sailboat was powered by a small Vetus diesel but I don't remember them taking a look at that. I believe they were mostly interested in any drugs, and my girlfriend and I certainly fit the "stereotypical" look at the time, but we came away clean.

I for one am very grateful for their presence and don't mind the boardings at all.

Cheers,
Kelly
  #5   IP: 66.126.90.242
Old 11-14-2008, 01:02 PM

I had a similar experience to Kelly about a month ago, well, ok, somewhat different. I was approximately 15 miles offshore motoring back from Catalina Island at 11:00 at night. I was the only one on watch and see this white light coming towards me at a high rate of speed. No sirens, nothing. So, thinking someone might have been considering messing around with me, I went down below and got my flare gun (they can make a great weapon if someone wants to take your boat). This zodiac with heavily armed guys in full wet suit style gear (could only see their eyes and mouths) starts circling me - they didn't even identify themselves, but I kept the flare gun in my pocket once I saw US Coast Guard printed on the side of the zodiac (kinda freaky actually). After circling me once, they drifted beind me a hundred yards or so and then just stopped. That's when my fishing pole caught something BIG. I cut the line upon realizing that it had tangled in their props. It took them like 20 minutes to get the line off their props and I wasn't going to wait around for these guys who had not yet said a word to me yet so I just kept going - I wanted to get home after this 12 hour cruise. Once they got things sorted out, they pulled up alongside me, asked where I was going, where I was coming from, if I had followed another sailboat (obviously of some suspicion) from Catalina and asked everyone from down below to come up and show their faces. They asked for my documentation, but it was expired as I just got the new doc, but hadn't put it on the boat yet. The head guy just told me to make sure to get my renewed documentation paperwork on the boat and to have a good night, after shining a light in my eyes and making sure I wasn't a drunken sailor (lucky I wasn't at the time). He said nothing about the fishing line until I asked if their props got wrapped in my line. Guy then just says I should not be trolling at night! I think they were embarrassed by it, but, hey, can't troll at night, what? Then, one hour later and now pulling into the entrance of San Diego Harbor, a Harbor Patrol boat turns on his siren lights and pulls up on me. I was so exasperated at this point that I simply informed him the Coast Guard just got through pulling up alongside me and I just wanted to get home. He then just let me go on my way - didn't even raft up with me.

Longwinded, I know, but I had to tell the story because It was very strange and I haven't talked to any other sailors who have been pulled up on by the Coast Guard that far offshore. Something must have been going on that night, but it just goes to show that you always need to be prepared and they aren't always out just to do a safety equipment check.
  #6   IP: 70.108.190.109
Old 11-16-2008, 09:49 PM
Afourian MVP

Well. . . I fell overboard on November 17th last year. Got back on board with the help of my friend. Let me tell you, the water was cold and you don't keep much strength in your hands for more than a minute or two. I was OK but very nauseous afterwards. We were in high seas and my friend didn't know how to man the boat. Oh yeah, there was a fire too. Not bad for the maiden voyage.

I took the Coast Guard over an hour to find us. We eventually had to send up a flare. The Coasties were young and professional. They were kind, helpful, did an inspection, and motored us back to port. It was great to have these fellows around when I needed them.
  #7   IP: 151.203.110.73
Old 11-19-2008, 11:19 PM

I always like to read Steve Markowski's posts, so when I logged on tonight at around 11:00 and saw he had posted something on this thread tonight at 9:07, I went right to it and . . . couldn't find it. The thread ends on something he posted a few days ago about falling overboard. I've experienced this before -- a new post on an appealing thread is indicated on the general page but it doesn't appear at the end of the thread, or anywhere else, for that matter. What's up with that? Sometimes I get the feeling something's going on and everyone knows about it but me . . . .

Mark
  #8   IP: 75.198.129.50
Old 11-20-2008, 08:25 AM
MMI Webmaster

Mark:

Can you view this posting, but not Steve's above it? What about your own (between this and Steve's)?

Bill
  #9   IP: 151.203.110.73
Old 11-20-2008, 08:49 AM

Bill:

I can view your posting from this morning; mine from last night to which you responded; and the next previous is Steve's from 11-16 about falling overboard. I don't see Steve's from last night.

Mark
  #10   IP: 151.200.20.244
Old 11-20-2008, 06:45 PM
Afourian MVP

Maybe Steve deleted it? I cannot see it either.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif
  #11   IP: 70.108.164.116
Old 11-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Afourian MVP

I don't remember posting anything more to this thread, but maybe I did and I deleted it? I have not had any problems. I did post something to another thread on the evening in question and that showed up fine.

Sometimes I update pictures and maybe that generates an email?

I have on at least one occassion deleted an email, but that was several weeks ago.

Last edited by High Hopes; 11-20-2008 at 09:58 PM.
  #12   IP: 151.203.110.73
Old 11-21-2008, 08:22 AM

Bill, Steve, Shawn,

As there is no other reasonable explanation, I have to assume it was operator error on my part. Sorry for the confusion. Everybody keep up the good work.

Mark
  #13   IP: 151.203.110.73
Old 11-23-2008, 10:12 PM

Bill,

I think I've got the problem. Tonight, Sunday 11-23, I logged on at 10:00 or so and saw on the "Community" page that I had posted a reply "Today" to this thread. I had not logged on since Friday 11-21. When I went to see what the website thought I had posted today, I saw my last post from Friday. So what must have happened before is what happened now: the "Community" page said something was posted "Today" when it was not -- the "Today" isn't changing with the clock as it should.

Mark
  #14   IP: 38.102.24.196
Old 11-24-2008, 12:38 PM
MMI Webmaster

What browser are you using, Mark? I think there may be a setting you have to tweak to avoid using cached pages.

Bill
  #15   IP: 206.40.166.218
Old 11-24-2008, 01:35 PM

IE 7.0 at home and at the office.

Mark
  #16   IP: 38.102.24.196
Old 11-24-2008, 07:29 PM
MMI Webmaster

I'm not using 7.0, but try something like this:

Tools
Internet Options
Click on the "General" tab.
In the box labeled Temporary Internet Files, click on the Delete Files button, click on OK, and then click on Settings.
At the top of the new page, click the radio button which says "Every visit to the page." Click on OK, then click on OK.
You might try the "Automatically" option as well.

Hope this helps. If you had a similar issue tracking your stock portfolio, you may have had some painful surprises lately.

Bill
  #17   IP: 151.200.20.244
Old 11-24-2008, 09:07 PM
Afourian MVP

caching

Yup...probably a caching problem. I didn't even think about that.

We often get this with our databases at work, where people call and say they see 'old' info, when in fact IE is displaying a cached page..'every visit to the page' is the fix.

I cannot see an instance where caching would be useful in this day and age..even down here in the Southern Maryland boonies we have reasonable high speed internet via DSL for about $1/day. I usually leave the forum loaded up on my PC and walk by and whack F-5 a few times a day to refresh the main forum page and get excited when there is a new post!

Good catch Mark!
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif
  #18   IP: 206.40.166.218
Old 11-25-2008, 03:57 PM

OK guys. Thanks for the tip. I changed from "automatically" to "every time I visit the page" and we'll see if that changes things.

Bill, my father, who liked to distill several days' worth of solitary thinking down into one tightly packed sentence, once announced in one such sentence, "Debt securities are better than equity securities." I pondered that for a long time and decided it was good advice.

Mark
  #19   IP: 67.58.215.142
Old 12-23-2016, 07:27 AM

Talking US Coast Guard

We are Canadian......in the winter of 1995 we were lying at anchor in Boot Key Harbour, Marathon, Fl., enjoying ourselves and not planning any long trips, having spent a previous winter in the Bahamas. The USCG frequently boards boats there, checking for pump-out irregularities, drugs, etc. although we had never been boarded........so we were not too surprised when a CG Inflatable pulled up close by and hailed our boat......."Ahoy, Echo (the name on our boat)"....After confirming that we were who we said we were.....(We wondered how they knew our names, etc.) , they said......"Phone your mother in Stratford, Ontario, Canada.......she hasn't heard from you in a week and is worried!"..........and without further ado, wished us well and pulled away...
We were happy and pleased.....a good experience.....and a great story!!!
  #20   IP: 137.103.82.194
Old 12-23-2016, 09:02 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,026 Times in 721 Posts
Wow - old survey zombie digs itself out of the grave

One attempt: About 300 miles east of Norfolk, at night, in 20 foot breaking seas, the USCG wanted to board us and investigate the number and type of radar sets we had.
I informed them we had none, were open to donations, and would have to decline being boarded. I pointed out the 40-50 knot winds and breaking seas would make such an operation extremely dangerous. We were rail down with just a storm jib They decided to stay on their cutter.

One boarding: After a hurricane, we were disabled with a ripped main and engine out of commission. The rough seas had stirred up enough junk in the fuel tank to clog the carb repeatedly. (this was back in the day with the stock no filter fuel system)
They showed up, did an inspection, wrote me up for not having a Do Not Pump Oil Overboard placard, and took the main to sailmaker and brought it back a couple of days later so we could sail home. Thanks CG!

Last edited by joe_db; 12-23-2016 at 09:15 AM.
  #21   IP: 50.132.111.15
Old 12-30-2016, 03:14 PM

We were boarded only once about eight years ago motoring south through Cattle Pass between Lopez and San Juan Islands which is the busy route to and from Friday Harbor if you're coming from Seattle or other points south. They were professional but the young guys were kind of uptight while the older rating was more laid back. Everything was in order and shipshape so we didn't get written up for anything but they somehow misidentified the A-4 as a diesel engine even though the plug wires and coil were immediately visible.
  #22   IP: 24.224.194.51
Old 01-15-2017, 02:51 AM
Afourian MVP

Never been boarded as such. Every year though the Canadian Coast Guard does a round to all the yacht clubs and offers free inspections. I take it every year and they put a sticker on the boat for that year. I do find that they are not probing through every little thing though, they have a checklist and go through it. They like to see things like, extra PFDs, MOB floats, larger fire extinguishers than minimum requirement, EPIRBS etc...at least they know you are thinking safety.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.
  #23   IP: 97.93.89.70
Old 01-15-2017, 11:20 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
Talking A rescue instead of a boarding

I have been boarded 2 times in 3 tries which leads to an interesting learning experience for a young officer.

I was sailing to Catalina with just my dog the Giz. When we were about 12 miles out near the old Whiskey buoy I noticed a CG Cruiser heading my direction then slow to drop a dinghy over the side. Crap I'm going to be boarded again. I raised the CG vessel on the VHF and asked their intentions? I was told to maintain my course and speed (sailing with the A/P at about 5..5~6 kts). As the CG officer and crew approached the officer obviously a newbie was being very KRANKY while getting the CG boat along side. As he was berating the crew and with his clipboard in hand he made the step to my boat. Unfortunately the step was into clear blue water between my boat and the CG vessel. His crew responded rather well in getting the boat clear. I immediately kicked the helm over as I was close hauled which hove me to within a few yards of the officer. He yelled at the crew to come and pick him up and me to get away as I was only a few yards away and offering up a life ring. Once he was drug back into the CG boat I radioed and asked while trying to keep from laughing if I should stand by so he could complete the boarding. I got a couple of snickers on the VHF from the mother ship and was told to go ahead and continue to my destination.

Once the officer was back in the CG boat I could not keep from laughing and his crew in the dink were really "trying" to be serious. The guy literally stepped into the water between to moving vessels and his had the propeller working. Hopefully a lesson well learned as well as some humility.

Dave Neptune
  #24   IP: 67.1.48.167
Old 02-13-2017, 11:35 AM

Just an odd story. Was anchored in Boot Key harbor, Fla. last season along with hundreds (literally) of boats waiting for a window to cross to the Bahamas. Another hundred are semi permanent retirees on moorings. Rumor was that a 'raid' was pending. a couple of days latter, after dark, a fleet of Fla water police, local sheriff's craft, etc .. at least 5 boats. entered the harbor. With glaring search lights, they announced they were boarding boats. It was like a movie script of the vietnam war. My boat was pulled along side, but just as they made contact, a woman in an unlit dingy cruised by and the officers zoomed after her. They never got back to my boat but the next morning, it was determined that at least three boats anchors were dislodged by the criss crossing official craft. No one was ticketed to my knowledge and it was never clear what their purpose was. Unsettling.
  #25   IP: 137.200.32.22
Old 02-13-2017, 01:15 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,026 Times in 721 Posts
AFAIK you can feel free to tell them to come back with a warrant. The USCG blanket search permission does not extend to local water cops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtookmm View Post
Just an odd story. Was anchored in Boot Key harbor, Fla. last season along with hundreds (literally) of boats waiting for a window to cross to the Bahamas. Another hundred are semi permanent retirees on moorings. Rumor was that a 'raid' was pending. a couple of days latter, after dark, a fleet of Fla water police, local sheriff's craft, etc .. at least 5 boats. entered the harbor. With glaring search lights, they announced they were boarding boats. It was like a movie script of the vietnam war. My boat was pulled along side, but just as they made contact, a woman in an unlit dingy cruised by and the officers zoomed after her. They never got back to my boat but the next morning, it was determined that at least three boats anchors were dislodged by the criss crossing official craft. No one was ticketed to my knowledge and it was never clear what their purpose was. Unsettling.