• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

For ToddMJ,
    Go to the library and get a book (or two) on small engine repair. Basic lawn mower engine stuff. The Atomic 4 is basically a big lawnmower engine. Yeah, it's got 4 cylinders and they're a bit bigger - so what. The technology is the same except for the cooling. Mowers are air cooled, the Atomic 4 is water cooled. It's a place to start.
    Perhaps go on Craigslist, get an old junker lawnmower, remove the engine, and go at it. You'll find out what tools you need, and learn how to use them before you touch the Atomic 4. Take it apart and put it back together again.
    You'll also learn what tubes of goop you need seal things, but this varies depending on the individual. Which goop to use, and whether to do one side of the gasket, both sides, or no goop at all.
    You'll learn how to clean parts. DO NOT use gasoline (goes BOOM to easily)! Kerosene, diesel fuel, numerous water base cleaners are all good. Careful with aluminum parts - some water base cleaners will eat them.
    Try things - you'll learn. Questions? - ask us. We'll give answers - sometimes several different ones.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by ToddMJ View Post
      Hello - I am a new Atomic 4 owner on a 1977 Colombia 8.7
      I have the original manual, and the moyer maintenance catalogue. Both serve basic purposes, however they read as if the reader has some prior knowledge.And I am not a mechanic, I am certainly able to learn/understand basic parts, but need the 'beginner' version..
      My question is, are there ANY other resources out there that I could read or watch to get me from "terrified Atomic 4 engine owner" to "more confident Atomic 4 engine owner"?
      Any help is appreciated.
      ToddMJ
      First off welcome to the forum.

You will get more responses if you start a new thread. Scroll down on the forum home page and you will see "forms" and "discussion topics". Select one - probably introductions. The "new thread" button is at the upper left.
      Tell us your experience, if any, with points based ignition systems and carburetor fuel systems. There are on line resources. Search by points based ignition systems and carburetor fuel systems. Let us know if you have any questions.

The easiest way to start would be to learn how to tune up your engine.

Remember none of us were born knowing anything about an A4. We all had to learn it. Bet you can too!

TRUE GRIT
      Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 11-17-2018, 02:54 AM.

Comment

• roadnsky
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2008

...are there ANY other resources out there that I could read or watch to get me from "terrified Atomic 4 engine owner" to "more confident Atomic 4 engine owner"?
        ToddMJ-
        Welcome to the forum.

As John said, posting a new thread will get you some more replies and advice.
        As Al said, ask questions.

I would suggest just browsing around the different threads on this site and reading. You'll find a wealth of knowledge at your fingertips.
        You might also benefit from watching some of the "How To" videos... here
        -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
        sigpic
        1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Administrator
          MMI Webmaster
          • Oct 2004

One little tidbit:

Don't lose sight of the fact that a lot of "engine" problems have little or nothing to do with the engine. As you read and learn, you'll find issues eventually traced to contaminated fuel, corrosion, battery problems, dirty props, etc.

Disciplined problem analysis will go a long way towards boosting your confidence, and there are more experts here just itching to help than you could ever have imagined.

Again, welcome!

Bill

Comment

• Dave Neptune
            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
            • Jan 2007

A good engine is a maintenence CHOICE

Most all marine engines are great what is not so great with these engines is how they were maintained not who built them.

Proper maintenance equals longevity!!!!

Dave Neptune

Comment

• joe_db
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Hello - I am a new Atomic 4 owner on a 1977 Colombia 8.7

I have the original manual, and the moyer maintenance catalogue. Both serve basic purposes, however they read as if the reader has some prior knowledge.And I am not a mechanic, I am certainly able to learn/understand basic parts, but need the 'beginner' version..

My question is, are there ANY other resources out there that I could read or watch to get me from "terrified Atomic 4 engine owner" to "more confident Atomic 4 engine owner"?

Any help is appreciated.

ToddMJ

Besides for that, this forum is amazing. For your education, look up OLD engine repair books. Fixing an A4 is very much like fixing an old tractor engine or a 1930s era car. You are mostly doing things that were common on cars through the 50s and maybe mid 60s. The only parts of an A4 that would confuse a mechanic in 1930 are the alternator and electronic ignition if you have it.
              You can probably find a beat up A4 for $500 or less. Even if you don't succeed in restoring it, you can still take it apart and see what does what and practice on it.
              Joe Della Barba
              Coquina
              C&C 35 MK I
              Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
              X