X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • azazzera
    • Aug 2014

idler gear conundrum

I read a thread that asked this same question but i felt it did not answer it fully. Its time to install my idler gear but noticed that the gear is asymmetric as far as the position of the gear on the hub. One side of the hub is longer than the other leaving the teeth of the gear meshing differently depending on how the gear is installed on the spindle. The previous post that covered this showed a picture indicating that the gear should be installed so the forward 1/8 inch dose not make contact with the crank. gear. If installed other way around all surface of the teeth make contact with the crank gear and accessory drive gear. I would think that it would be preferred to have the entire surface of the gear mesh. What is the correct way. if I go with my idea of complete contact will i damage something.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0927.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	204997

Name:	IMG_0929.jpg
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	204998

Name:	IMG_0934.jpg
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	204999
    Attached Files
  • azazzera
    • Aug 2014

three more photos for your consideration

Name:	IMG_0928.jpg
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	197201

Name:	IMG_0930.jpg
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	197202

Name:	IMG_0931.jpg
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	197203

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

It would seem that full contact on helical gears is most desirable. Remember the counterclockwise rotation of the crank tends to drive the idler toward the block. Make sure there is no contact. Are you certain the spindle is all the way in?
      Last edited by hanleyclifford; 07-02-2015, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X