Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Fuel System

#1   IP: 74.67.154.157
Old 07-14-2010, 07:53 AM

Install a primer bulb in your fuel line!

Last year, after launch in the spring, the A4 would not start. The engine was not getting fuel and not having time to do much diagnosis, I ordered a fuel pump from Moyer. After getting back from a 3 day trip (I was a pilot then), I picked up a primer bulb at West Marine and headed for the boat. My plan was to install the primer bulb but hold off on the fuel pump. Well, the primer bulb did not do the trick so I rapped the carb hard with a screwdriver and, the float being stuck, the engine started right up! Well, this is not the end of the story as the title might suggest.
My wife and I were returning from our first cruise together on the July 4th weekend when the A4 suddenly died on Lake Ontario. We were about 8 miles from the nearest port with very light and unhelpful winds. After about 2 hours of trying to figure out the problem I thought to flush some fuel through the carb in case something was clogging the jet. So, I hot wired the oil pressure safety switch and turned on the ignition. The fuel pump was silent! We were able to motor to safety using the fuel primer bulb already installed. A couple of days later I installed the fuel pump previously purchased and motored back to our home port, almost 3 hours distance, with no problems other than there were again light and unhelpful winds!
Knowing that the primer bulb, when pumped about 5 times every 3 or 4 minutes, will keep the A4 running, probably for hours if needed, is a great insurance policy in the event of fuel pump failure. I'm grateful to Don Moyer for this and his other numerous helpful tips on the venerable Atomic 4.
  #2   IP: 71.181.37.53
Old 07-14-2010, 08:27 AM

I agree that the bulb is a great addition.

Due to safety

It would be nice a bulb could be made from Coast guard approved
rubber and hose.

or if a metal primer could be created which could perform the
same function be attached in line with the pump

or if a electric fuel pump could be manufactured which
has the primer built into it, similar to the mechanical fuel pump.
  #3   IP: 166.137.11.33
Old 07-14-2010, 03:56 PM

I would suggest keeping the primer bulb on the boat but not connected to the fuel system or at the very least bypassed out of the loop with valves. There is a reason they are not CG approved for inboard gas engines. I use a primer bulb on board for oil changes so it could double as a fuel primer too.

Do you have a racor filter installed? just wondering

A fuel pump is also in my spares kit onboard too.

cheers
Mike
  #4   IP: 71.174.123.174
Old 07-20-2010, 11:05 PM

primer bulbs..

I am of the opinion that a primer bulb should be included with every new install electric pump, & as an option for any Facet sold. After years of diddling with the fuel system & then priming with an extraction pump, the simple addition of a primer bulb has made my life much, much calmer when I go sailing. And I have a gravity fed system & yes I have a Racor & polishing filter after the pump. My issues date prior to the filters installation.

The risks frpm dis-connecting fuel hoses & hand priming in my opinion is far higher than having the bulb.

Tom D
  #5   IP: 173.166.26.245
Old 07-20-2010, 11:33 PM
Afourian MVP

If you have a system in which the fuel tank is higher than the electric pump you should have no need of a primer bulb. Indeed, you should be able to run with the pump off at limited rpms. Sounds like you have routing and restriction issues.
  #6   IP: 199.173.225.33
Old 07-21-2010, 07:08 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,026 Times in 721 Posts
I have installed primer bulbs in DIESEL systems before. At least one got a pinhole leak in it
I just replaced my fuel line from tank to pump and it primed with no issue using the electric pump.
  #7   IP: 64.203.32.52
Old 07-21-2010, 09:31 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
Exclamation To all my $0.02

The squeeze bulb is a great idea and something that should be on your boat for emergency use when needed. I don't like the idea of mounting one in line as it also gives you 4 more places to let air into the system. While workig for a couple of summers as an O/B mechanic you have no idea how many we would replace for sucking in air and/or leaking when the engine wasn't running. The clamps that are used in many cases leave something to be desired.
If you have the mechanical pump you have a priming bail on the pump and shouldn't need to use a S-bulb at all .
If you have an electric pump be sure that it is wired into the system with the oil preassure switch. My preferance is to get a momentary push button switch also tied into the ignition circuit or it's own to do the priming if/when necessary.
Keep the Squeeze Bulb on board for emergencies BECAUSE THEY ARE KNOWN SOURCES OF LEAKAGE , ask the Coast Guard!

Dave Neptune
  #8   IP: 64.231.91.201
Old 07-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Neptune View Post
The squeeze bulb is a great idea and something that should be on your boat for emergency use when needed...

If you have the mechanical pump you have a priming bail on the pump and shouldn't need to use a S-bulb at all .

Keep the Squeeze Bulb on board for emergencies BECAUSE THEY ARE KNOWN SOURCES OF LEAKAGE , ask the Coast Guard!

Dave Neptune
Another vote for the mechanical...
  #9   IP: 173.166.26.245
Old 07-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Afourian MVP

The mechanical pump would win the day hands down if not for the issues of leakage into the oil (internal failure) and bowl leakage. The mechanical pump gives better pressure and gets it's prime up better. What do we have to do to get it all?
  #10   IP: 71.174.123.174
Old 07-21-2010, 08:01 PM

detail..

a bad factoid .. there is the small matter of a siphon tube from the tank. I've had that out & re-sealed it but I still have a vacuum leak in it I'm sure that affects me a week or two away from the boat.
  #11   IP: 75.197.219.122
Old 07-22-2010, 07:51 AM
MMI Webmaster

Racor sells a filter/separator with the priming bulb built in, but it's intended for diesel. I don't think there is a gasoline equivalent.

Bill