Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Announcements

#1   IP: 128.177.81.23
Old 09-21-2014, 09:43 AM
MMI Webmaster

Public Groups (Fresh Bump)

Originally Posted by Administrator:

Over the past few weeks, TomG and I have swapped a couple of postings (and then a couple of PM’s) on the subject of how the Apple iPad might be used on the water. Obviously, this is pushing the envelope regarding “off-topic” discussion. Nevertheless, it frustrates me a bit at times that we deliberately limit the discussion matter when we have this wonderful collection of forum members whose experience, education, intuition, judgment, etc. challenge and entertain me every day. The intentions are honorable, but I’d like to try something that might interest like-minded individuals, without distracting or flat-out aggravating those members who appreciate the clarity of “mission” in the forum.

Our forum software has the ability to establish what it calls “public groups” – discussion categories which a member may join and view/post if desired, but will otherwise not be visible. I’d like to give it a try, and TomG has agreed to join me in the first iteration – a group dedicated to the iPad discussion we dabbled with earlier.

To join us (or simply to see how the whole thing works), click on the “User CP” option on the main navigation menu. Then select the “Group Memberships” option on the left side, which will display a list of user groups you are free to join. From there, it’s a matter of a couple of clicks.
Joining the “iPad User Group” will make visible a new discussion category, called “iPad Applications on the Water,” which will appear in the Off-Topic group towards the bottom of the page. Join the group and you’ll see this. Choose not to join, and you won’t.

Feedback regarding the idea (not simply this first rather specific iteration) would be appreciated. If you’d like to suggest another subject for a different group, drop me a PM. I don’t really have a sense of where we’d draw the line as to what’s ok and what isn’t, beyond the broad requirements of decorum and taste. We’ll take ‘em as they come.

Bill
  #2   IP: 76.11.110.224
Old 09-21-2014, 10:30 AM
Afourian MVP

Sounds good. Although I don't use Ipad there's nothing wrong with gaining knowledge in that area.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.
  #3   IP: 67.244.62.45
Old 09-21-2014, 11:48 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

I believe I'm already subscribed!

I think you're correct in that there's an interested critical mass of readers and contributors. I might suggest a group 'marine electronics / interfacing and integration' or something along those lines....

S/V Bunny Planet
1971 Bristol 29 #169
  #4   IP: 64.20.141.54
Old 09-22-2014, 10:10 AM

I am all for this suggestion. I've owned a sailboat for eight years and deep down I feel like I'm still a rank novice when it comes to the whole spectrum of A-4 maintenance, fiberglass repair, paints, adhesives, upgrades, navigation, etc. Whenever I have a question on anything sailing related, the MMI forum is my first stop. The advice you get here is without question the best, even when it comes to non-A-4 related matters. It's helpful that the folks here most likely own an older boat in the 24-34-foot range. But the most valuable asset here is just how experience-based the advice is. Apart from that, everyone -- especially the regulars -- are welcoming and fun. My two-cents: the "mission" of this being first and foremost an A-4 forum should be preserved. Having the "opt-in" mechanism for other topics keeps this in place while allowing for discussion on other sailing-related matters.
  #5   IP: 108.212.227.217
Old 09-22-2014, 03:34 PM

iPad Group

Good work Tom. I'm in.
Thanks, Howard

S/V Swimmer
Bristol 27
  #6   IP: 75.192.239.209
Old 09-23-2014, 06:28 AM
MMI Webmaster

The Marine Electronics User Group should be up and running. Just click on the “User CP” option on the main navigation menu. Then select the “Group Memberships” option on the left side, which will display a list of user groups you are free to join. From there, it’s a matter of a couple of clicks.

Remember that these public User Group categories will not be visible unless you have logged in to the forum and deliberately joined them.

Holler if anything is amiss.

Bill