Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Interest
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

#1   IP: 70.224.206.243
Old 11-11-2007, 05:24 PM
Frequent Contributor

Question Flywheel and Accessory drive R & R

I am still tracking down oil leaks in my late model A-4. I replaced the water pump, which was indeed leaking, and am now looking at removing the flywheel to check the oil drain holes in the flywheel housing. However... I only have about one inch clearance at the front of the engine. (I have great access everywhere else.) After I removed the starter motor I checked out the accessory drive and it seems that this may actually be the source of the starboard side oil leak.

So, the questions are:

1) How far forward does the flywheel have to move to come off? I suspect more than one inch. I can gently saw the cabin sole away & gain maybe 1/2 inch more, but my measurements indicate that this is probably not enough. Anybody know?

2) As I replace the accessory drive, how do I ensure that I get the distributor back in the right place? That is: how do I keep the timing correct or reset it correctly? If I move the engine to #1 at TDC and mark the rotor position on the distributor housing will that do it? (Assuming I don't move the engine and replace the distributor with the rotor pointing at my mark.) How do I insure that I am actually at TDC & not the exhaust stroke? ...or can I just mark it & put it back in the same spot? (Not moving the engine, of course.)

I am a little concerned about both of these because I don't want to have a very heavy flywheel half off and jammed up against structural a cross member AND, of course if I screw up the timing by moving the distributor, I'll have a *wonderful* spring troubleshooting experience that I'd rather miss <grin>.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions I'd be grateful,

Ken Miller
Sault Sainte Marie, MI
(Yes, on Lake Superior)
  #2   IP: 38.118.52.41
Old 11-12-2007, 11:52 AM

Ken,

I wouldn't suggest removing the flywheel or the accessory drive unless you have more definitive evidence that there is an oil leak coming from either of these locations. Leaks from either of these places are somewhat rare. If the drain holes are plugged in the flywheel housing, there should be ample evidence of oil dripping out of the bottom of the housing (more than a single drip hanging onto the bottom of the housing now and then).

In terms of the accessory drive, the most common spot for an oil leak is from the threads of the lower retaining bolt. I recommend you remove the bolt and apply sealer on the threads, and on both sides of the flat brass washer under its head and then run the engine to see if the leak subsides.

Don
  #3   IP: 70.224.206.243
Old 11-14-2007, 09:56 PM
Frequent Contributor

Don,

I agree about the flywheel. I am not certain that oil is coming from the drain hole so the cover is going back on forthwith.

There is lots of oil on the back (after) side of the pulley on the accessory drive, however. It is somehow getting on the alternator fan and is being flung all over (hence my "oil... everywhere" thread a little while ago). I really do think the seal is bad. I was thinking of replacing the entire drive, to get the modified one, since I figured I need to remove it anyway--but I'm concerned about getting the timing back properly, as I expressed in my original post.

I can't test the engine until spring--it's in its winter bed <sigh>. Is it that tough to replace the drive?

Ken

Ken
  #4   IP: 70.224.206.243
Old 11-24-2007, 11:34 AM
Frequent Contributor

Lightbulb Flywheel & Acc. drive/now chasing the elusive oil leak

Don:

Well, I took a closer look at the accessory drive, trying to figure out how to seal the threads of the lower bolt that wouldn't draw out past the engine mount. It wasn't until I was on my way home from the boat that the penny dropped. Of course, what I thought was a broken off bolt on the front side of the drive, was where the lower bolt threaded into the housing from the back side! Duh.

I returned the next day & sealed both the threads and the bolt head. Because I had to take the alternator off for repair--I found that it *never* had screens, so it was not a marinized alternator--I was able to clean off a lot of the crud that has been flung onto the block and everything else. This very well could be the elusive source of the oil that is being distributed all over the engine (even the top) by the alternator fan.

So everything (except the alternator) is back in place. I took your advice & left both the flywheel & accessory drive alone, except for sealing the lower bolt. Spring will tell if the oil leak is fixed. I am now going to examine the Carb. side of the engine, I think there might be a leak at the oil pressure sender. That should me an easy fix--<famous last words...<g>.

As ever, thank you,

Ken