• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charlotte
    Frequent Contributor
    • Apr 2007

electric fuel pump

I have a bit of problem with my fuel delivery (I think). To begin, a few months ago I was checking the bowl on the fuel pump and it was so corroded that it broke so ended up replacing the pump with an electrical one. A friend who has the same engine recomended this fuel pump as he uses the same one. On my next outing the engine stalled again and this time checked the water seperator (1/2 full of water), replaced it with a new one and was on my way again.

Next stall out happened after about an hour of running her. Thought to move the coil (as I heard that could affect performance). Now she was running fine and motor sailed for six hours to Secret Cove (mostly on low revs). Next day took off and she died again, but after a few minutes started and we headed to Pender Harbour. There I removed the carborator and found that it was full of gunk. Cleaned and blew it out, reinstall and now running smooth again. Also replaced the inline fuel filter (which is after the pump).

Thought all was well until we ran into some standing waves and were rocking a fair amount. Turned the revs up and she conked out again. This was getting scary as we were close to a South Cardinal Buoy. I removed the hose from the carb, turned the key and no gas! Waited a few minutes tried again, this time let the pump run until the gas started coming. Reatached and off we went. Once on smooth water cranked her up to run at 160 and once she reached that temp, ran for 1/2 hour and then quit.

So here's the question. Should I fix the old pump and reinstall as the bowl seems to catch the sediment before it reaches the carb? Could I install another filter? Why does the electric pump seem to take some time before it sucks the gas from the tank? And finally, does it come down to removing and cleaning the gas tank? Also does the temp have anything to do with this. As I said running on low revs with the temp around 130-145 seems just fine. She'll go for hours but once past 160, no fun.

A bit long winded I know but was just trying to remember all the steps I took to solve this problem. I love this motor and just won't give up so thanks for any ideas. ps 1977 Catalina 30
  • jhwelch
    • Dec 2005

Having that much water in your trap makes me think it might be a good
    idea to have the tank pumped dry and refilled. I had this done not
    too long ago and used a line from the top of my mast to a distant post
    to heel the boat over so the last of the gas would be under the fill pipe.
    We also used the line to "slosh" the last bit around and get whatever
    gunk was in the tank to where it could be sucked out.

I also had trouble with an old-style electric fuel pump that would
    work most of the time. For other reasons I had installed a switch
    so the pump could be turned on manually and that's how I finally
    figured out it was defective -- it's hard to hear if it is running with
    the noise from the motor (I have a low oil pressure shut off switch
    so normally it won't run unless the motor is on).

-jonathan

Comment

Working...
    X