X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clifton
    • Oct 2019

Thermostat Installation

In the thermostat cover there is a recessed portion around the center in which the flange on the thermostat sits. I can't keep the thermostat in that spot when I try to put the cover on. It's difficult to tell if it's sitting in the right place or not, but I assume it isn't because it doesn't look like the cover is really pressed against the gasket.

I hope that makes sense. Has anyone else had the problem? Any solution other than keep trying until it randomly ends up where it's supposed to be? After I left the boatyard I thought I could maneuver it around with a feeler gauge.

Thanks in advance,
    Clifton Long
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Yep, I had a similar experience. I was able to get it right after a few tries by feel - - delicately because there is not much to feel. Disconnecting the hoses before seating the thermostat housing made all the difference.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ndutton; 05-27-2020, 09:12 AM. Reason: We love pictures
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Ando
      • Jul 2019

Yes, it's a common issue. I had replaced my thermostat and was dismayed when I found water coming out of the top of the housing after starting the engine. I just played and played and played around with it until it finally fell snugly into place.

Comment

• Clifton
        • Oct 2019

Thanks!

Both of the answers seem consistent with what I thought would be the method. I am using the check valve/ball valve kit and don't have the spacer (meaning that the two barbed fitting don't line up so well) so I was a little afraid of trying to connect the lower hose after the fact. I'll be back there this weekend to give it a try.

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

I have the same valve. You can see the lower hose in one of my pictures with a tapered plug stuffed in it.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• offcourse
            • Jun 2020

I just had this issue as well....water spraying everywhere when I launched my boat after installing a new thermostat.

Two things that can help:

1) Take a flathead screwdriver and clean all the crud out of the flange on the thermostat housing. This will give you a much better chance of having it seat properly.

2) Don't forget to put some sealant on the between the gasket and the cylinder head. I used Permatex Black RTV but others may work. While this won't help if the T-stat isn't seated, it does seem to be necessary with the paper gasket.

Comment

Working...
            X