• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wobbie
    • Apr 2009

shifter lever removal

Hi
    I am attempting to remove the shifter lever so that I can reduce the width at the attach point for the/a clevis pin for the shifter cable. Where the shifter lever connects to the transmission there appears to be a keyway as well as to the side a place for a socket set screw which appears to no longer be installed. Would like to know the best way for removal e.g. wheel puller ?
    thanks
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

It's extremely difficult to find a puller small enough to work in this area and still have enough muscle to remove any but the few levers that are not essentially married to the shaft. Even in our shop, we remove the cross shaft with the lever during a rebuild and then press the lever off of the shaft at a big hydraulic press.

You will probably find it much easier to lay an old blanket or dropcloth over the engine and rent a high speed grinder to "modify" your lever on the engine.

All that being said, with the 5/16" setscrew missing your lever may be a bit loose on the shaft, but if it were, one would think that it would have worked completely loose a long time ago. In any case, whether you are able to remove the shaft or decide to leave it on, I'd install the setscrew.

Don

Comment

• wobbie
      • Apr 2009

Hi Don
      Thanks very much for the info/advice.
      much appreciated.

Comment

• Hiker_00
        • Aug 2008

I just replaced the drive control cable and had a clevis pin issue too. It took a number of tries but the Xtreme Teleflex 43C cable and attachements fit fine for me.

I had to replace the cable and support arm which holds it steady because of severe rot.

1974 A4

Tim

Comment

Working...
        X