Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

#1   IP: 76.27.161.103
Old 06-09-2007, 01:53 PM

Exclamation requires full choke to keep engine running.

I have just replaced, with new parts, the fuel pump and carburetor on my Atomic 4. The engine starts right up with choke on. Then after allowing it to warm up I push in the choke, either fast or slow and the engine idles and stops. Or if I give it gas it stops.

When I have it at full choke, even after being warmed up, when I start to give it some gas it hesitates, almost to a stall, and then goes on to run as more throttle is applied. There is no way that I want to try moving my 35' Pearson without things running well. I don't consider this running well enough.

I haven't started to adjust the carburetor yet. I thought this was a little unusual for a new carburetor to act and just thought I would ask around for some advice.

Thanks in advance for any help

Dan Hallinan
  #2   IP: 38.118.52.41
Old 06-11-2007, 07:13 AM

Dan,

It's a little difficult to sort out whether you simply need a small idle mixture adjustment so that your engine will idle or if a bit of dirt has somehow gotten into your main jet (not uncommon after maintenance is performed on the fuel system).

I recommend that you turn your idle mixture adjustment in against the seat, and then back it out one complete turn. This should enable you to run the engine normally and you can fine-tune the mixture at that time. Turning the adjustment in (clockwise) will make the idle mixture richer, and turning it in a counterclockwise direction will make it leaner.

If your problem remains after attempting to adjust the idle system, you'll have to clean the carburetor. If you have good access to the carburetor, you can sometimes remove the main passage plug and flush contaminants from the main passage area (just ahead of the main jet) without removing the carburetor. If you must remove the carburetor, you only have to remove the main passage plug and main jet for cleaning, not the whole carburetor.

Don
  #3   IP: 76.27.161.103
Old 06-12-2007, 07:09 AM

Thank you Don, I am going down today to take another whack at it. I'll let you know how things went.

Again Thanks

Dan Hallinan