X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryan Howell
    • Oct 2004

`Scavenger tube

My setup has no scavenger tube. There is a plug in the manifold and nothing in the tapped hold in bottom of the throat of the carb. I am having some fuel drip issues, so the fuel is dripping out of the hole intended for the scavenger tube fitting. Question, can you just put a bolt or some other sort of plug into the hole in the carb or is the scavenger tube absolutely necessary? Related, assume the excess fuel is a float problem? In my brand new carb installed at the end of last season.....

Thanks.
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

It's normal for updraft carburetors such as ours to have raw fuel pool in the intake horn so to mitigate it the USCG requires a scavenge tube. It's an important safety device.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• sailboatguy
      • Dec 2013

Early or late model? Early model carbs don't have the external scavenger tube.

Comment

• Bryan Howell
        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
        It's normal for updraft carburetors such as ours to have raw fuel pool in the intake horn so to mitigate it the USCG requires a scavenge tube. It's an important safety device.
        Thanks Neil. I surmised as much, plus I think maybe the designers/engineers know a bit more about this than I do. Scavenger tube ordered from Moyer.

Bryan

Comment

• Bryan Howell
          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by sailboatguy View Post
          Early or late model? Early model carbs don't have the external scavenger tube.
          Late model.

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Originally posted by Bryan Howell View Post
            Thanks Neil. I surmised as much, plus I think maybe the designers/engineers know a bit more about this than I do. Scavenger tube ordered from Moyer.

Bryan
            Good on ya Bryan. Make it right.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California
            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

Working...
            X