• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JayS
    Frequent Contributor
    • Dec 2013

pearson 30 engine mounts?

I'm replacing my Atomic 4. When I pulled the old engine I was surprised to find no engine mounts. Engine was bolted directly to the fiberglass bed flanges. Is this normal? Have never seen an engine without motor mounts.
    Thanks!
  • marthur
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2004

It's a lot more common than you would think : ) If you wish to install engine mounts you will have to modify the fiberglass.
    Mike

Comment

• Mo
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2007

It's OK.

Yes, it's normal to see that. There is very little vibration with the A4 but you should check and esure all fasteners have a good bite. Some people put a piece of angle iron along he top of the wooden rails. Using the same measurements you currently have:
      -where current lag bolts went in use a wood drill and make the slot big enough for a nut to fit into.
      -measure and cut a piece of angle iron the width of you runner.
      -drill two holes each side the exact spacing you currently have for mounting.
      -weld two nuts to "underside" of the angle iron so that the nuts are down in the previously widened slot.
      -drill three holes laterally trough angle iron and runner.
      -bolt angle iron to runner through the side.
      -put engine back in and four bolts, with lock washers, will thread through the angle iron and into the nuts you welded on ( the bolt goes down into the same hole as the lags you removed.)
      ...that will take allot of strain and should the boat knocked down or something along those lines it holds the engine firm.
      Last edited by Mo; 04-05-2014, 10:41 PM.
      Mo

"Odyssey"
      1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
      The optimist expects it to change.
      The realist adjusts the sails.
      ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• JayS
        Frequent Contributor
        • Dec 2013

Thanks Mo, for angle reinforce idea and details. One concern I have is the engine getting raised the thickness of the angle, affecting my prop shaft alignment. I currently have 1/8" bushing in rear, none in front. May not work for my situation without some fiberglass mods, but I will explore it.

Comment

• prstack7
          • Aug 2011

same as mine

Funny how I never even thought about it, but my Pearson 30 is the same: engine attached to fiberglass flanges.

Comment

• Loki9
            • Jul 2011

Yes, that's how my P30 was too; the A4 bolted directly to a fiberglass engine pan with only a few plastic shims between motor and pan. It sure made alignment a PITA.
            Jeff Taylor
            Baltic 38DP

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Every Atomic 4 powered Newport 30 up until at least mid -1973 was that way too.
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California
              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• romantic comedy
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2007

My Tartan 34 has the engine lagged to the engine bed. No engine mounts. There are metal shims used to align the engine.

Someday I will make angle alumium mounts. It will be a big job as the beds will need to be reworked.

Comment

Working...
                X