Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tac
    • Nov 2015

Why do you need spreader lights? I have them, and they work. In 20 years I've only used them once, and that was simply to see how much light they put out at night. Since then, not duly impressed, I use a flashlight.

Now the steaming light is another story. And the anchor light. Do they work? Even if you're not out at night, in fog or low visibility a steaming light is a navigation light, and is required if you're motoring.

Comment

• rockhopper
      • May 2017

sastantley, that is the ICW bridge at Beaufort, NC.

Tac, not sure honestly I just noticed the one spreader light that had worked had stopped but you have a point. The anchor light on the very top of the mast I know works, I'll have to check the steaming light.
      Chris
      1973 Pearson 30 #411
      Trinity, North Carolina

Comment

• edwardc
        Afourian MVP
        • Aug 2009

When we rebuilt our mast in 2013, I put on two extremely bright, sealed 15W LED lights. At night they're like aircraft landing lights!

Since then, we've used them a fair amount. Typically when seeing off other dinghys who have joined us for sundowners, but also for cleaning up the deck after a night anchoring.

We've even used them to identify our boat to another boat when in a crowded anchorage.

Highly recommended.

Shop Marinebeam for LED replacement bulbs or LED fixtures for the cabin, cockpit, and deck of your boat. LED boat lights ready for the sea!
        @(^.^)@ Ed
        1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
        with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• tenders
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2007

I have those spreader light fixtures too, and installed them just before LED bulbs became commonplace I guess about 10-12 years ago. But they are so inexpensive, and so easy to replace, and used so infrequently, that I just couldn't justify replacing them when I redid my mast two years ago. So back up they went. They're the only incandescent bulbs left on the boat. (My mast is double-spreader rigged, and the basic winter ladder easily reaches the lower spreaders where the lights are mounted.)

They are 35 watt bulbs, PAR36, with a G53 base, and yep, their primary use is seems to be as tractor bulbs. Compatible bulbs include:
          GE 4406
          GE 24430
          GE4411
          Sylvania 55091

Many of the LED substitutes I looked at at the time were expensive, but more importantly, NOT WATERPROOF. So I guess you can't use them on your tractor in the rain. Since then, this one seems to have been developed and might suit at $18 a bulb:

(Several versions - I believe "floodlight" rather than "spotlight" is better for this purpose)

Useful note from Perko's website: "when rebulbing, retainer ring must be placed with flat side toward bulb. Starting with one end, insert ring in space between bulb and light housing. Twisting the ring so that the outside edge goes in first will make replacement easier."

Comment

Working...
          X