X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chiron
    • Feb 2011

Should my stuffing box be smoking?

So I finally feel triumphant over my stuffing box. After hours of swearing and knuckle bleeding contortionism I managed to adjust the packing nut a half a turn. The steady drip much more resembling a stream that was leaking out while the shaft was not moving has gone away and am getting a drip every 2 or so seconds while the shaft is moving. However the stuffing box was steaming and quit warm to the touch not so hot that I could not hold on but getting there. My question is. Is this normal, and when do you know it is time to repack the stuffing box.

Chad
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

If you're using Goretex packing it runs considerably hotter than conventional wax impregnated flax. I have a slip neighbor who replaced with Goretex last year and it took him a while to get it "worn in" and adjusted to his liking. High temps were a concern of his as well.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• roadnsky
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

To go along with Neil's response...
      If it's conventional wax/flax and your prop and stuffing box are too warm to touch or hot (), then you've got it too tight.
      They can be slightly "warm" depending on your local water temp but should really be on the cool side. Otherwise the stuffing box isn't doing it's job.

It might also be that you have a flax "finger" bunched up which would cause either (or both) excessive leaking and scoring (heat).
      Sorry, but if that's the case, you'll need to open up the stuffing box and re-pack...
      -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
      sigpic
      1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

chiron, good stuffing box access is a common problem. It sounds like you've struggled thru that part and dialed in the 'preferred' settings pretty close, and Jerry's & Neil's comments are both valid.

Mine runs a little warm for my taste, but I went from a 30 year old stuffing box with a nice worn shaft & flax packing, to a new stuffing box with SS shaft & goretex packing in mid-2010..I am waiting for spring (and for someone to put my boat back together! ) so I can use my new infrared thermometer and check how 'warm', warm really is.
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• Bold Rascal
          • Mar 2011

Not that I know so much about the subject to comment however, it is in my immediatte future. Being so I found this site which might be of help. http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box

Mike
          Mike, Slower-Lower Eastern shore, MD
          1973 Pearson 33
          1967 Bristol 27
          sigpic

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

BR, All of the articles on that website are excellent..That guy has more time to document the "WHY's" than anyone I know...and we are the beneficiaries. "Maine Sail" has definitely helped me understand things and saved me time, money & hassle.
            -Shawn
            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X