Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Overhaul

#1   IP: 67.72.98.45
Old 07-09-2006, 02:57 PM

cracks in water ports

Hello All
I bought a A-4 a while back and have been working on getting it together everthing apeared to be in good shape so I desided to just rering and hand lap the vavles, after getting it all back together I was torqing the haed and pulled a stud about the center of the block on the exhaust side so I pulled the head back of and retaped to 7/16 then I noticed a crack threw the theads to the water port. I went ahead and pulled all the studs out at that point and checked everyone real close and all the ones on the exhaust side of the block that are about a 1/4" away from the water port openings have hairline cracks, Is this normal on these or is my block shot? the cracks dont go into the intake or exhaust chambers, I am a little curiouse as to what caused it
thanks
Tom
  #2   IP: 70.55.182.183
Old 07-09-2006, 04:06 PM

Thumbs up Cracks in water ports

Hi Tom,
Your block is not shot! I rebuilt my early model engine(1967) a few months ago and in the process I discovered much the same problem as yours. After much thought and discussion with Don Moyer(via phone and email), he reassured me that he had dealt with many engines with similiar cracks and depending on the severity of the cracks, the engines were accordingly fixed(DIY) and returned to service. The worst of the stud holes was repaired with a repair bushing(Moyer's) and J/B Weld. Also recommended was a lesser retorquing value of 30 rather than 35 ft/lbs for the head nuts. Causes could be overheating and rapid cooling and/or past over torquing episodes. Who really knows? Your engine is probably OK. I took some pictures of my block with the 8 or so cracks and emailed the pictures to Don for first hand viewing. I was prepared to junk my engine but it is back in the boat and is performing and sounding very nice after about 10-15 hours of operation. I would send you my emails to Don but they have been deleted. I am sure Don will have nothing but positive things to say to you.
Good Luck
Alberg 30 #236 1967
A4 early :cool:
simoncroteau@sympatico.ca
  #3   IP: 67.72.98.45
Old 07-09-2006, 05:59 PM

Thanks Simon
After looking at it again I think youre right should be ok after fixing threds. I taped 3 studs to 7/16" and the rest cleaned with 3/8" tap and they look ok. Not sure whitch is a better fix 7/16" stud or a bushing to 3/8" , probably wouldnt make much diferance .
I will be running a closed cooling system IE the skeg is the heat exchanger and dry exhaust so I could run a little stop leak if it seeps . Did you put any gasket sealer for the head gasket around the cracks or put it on dry?
Tom
  #4   IP: 70.55.182.183
Old 07-09-2006, 07:10 PM

Cracks in water ports

Tom,
Sealer in the areas of concern.
Alberg 30 #236 1967
A4 early :cool:
simoncroteau@sympatico.ca
  #5   IP: 38.118.52.41
Old 07-10-2006, 04:06 PM

Simon,

Thanks for checking in. I found your photos.

Don
Attached Images

#6   IP: 67.72.98.45
Old 07-15-2006, 03:35 PM

Engine Runs Great

Hello All
Thanks Don, Simon
I fired it up thismorning and everything seems ok, the water pump leaked a litttle till I greased it so I think I will replace seal to be safe, evedence on casting shows it has ben leaking for a while. I am surprised at how smooth these engines run and how simple there put together. I am installing this one in a Brent Swain 26 origami steel sailboat that I am building and its about 75% done. I think it will work out ok.
I will try to attach a picture of it running in the garage
Take care
Tom
Attached Images