Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Fuel System

#1   IP: 24.190.86.12
Old 05-15-2005, 06:57 PM

Angry Sudden Stalling

I've had this problem for longer than I realized. Last fall rebuild carb and fuel pump and installed Racor filter. There was considerable orangish gunk in the Carb. This spring started good. But sudden stalls still occur and like usual startup again is usually easy. Lately, startup has become a problem and its as bad as ever. I drained the fuel filter and had more of that same orange gunk and particulate in the drainage. I re cleaned the main fuel vent which had a waxy yellow substance in it. The engine ran great for about 40 minutes and shut off. Difficult restart. Re drained the filter and had the same orangish mess (and probably more water). It stated ran for a few minutes and shut off again. Difficult restart with stalling. Choke helps as is usually the case.
I'm nearing a decision to remove the fuel tank and replace. I believe that the orange gunk is coming from the tank and the filter cannot stop it all. It seems I will either have to clean the main fuel vent every hour or stop the contaminant at the source. Any suggestions? Thanks.
  #2   IP: 24.190.86.12
Old 05-17-2005, 12:29 PM

I hate to reply to my own thread but the boat yard mechanic, who is generous with help if I ask ( I rarely do), suggested attaching an outboard plastic tank to the system before removing the existing fuel tank, to test the hypothesis that the tank is the source of my problem. It seems like a good suggestion to me. Does anyone have sources of fuel tanks? None of the popular catalogue choices will work very well.
  #3   IP: 66.174.76.203
Old 05-17-2005, 01:35 PM

I think that's a good idea. I did the same thing for a similar problem and the engine ran fine.

I got a 3 gallon plastic tank (used for outboards) at West Marine. I then had a hose made up with the proper screw-in fitting for the tank and a screw-on fitting for the fuel filter end. I also put a valve at the filter end to be able to shut the fuel off and run the engine until it stops.

Maybe the orange junk is varnish from the gas being old. That's part of my problem, in addition to rust in the 30 year old steel tank. I'm in the (painful) process of pulling the tank and getting a new aluminum one made. I had to get towed in twice last summer due to crud in the tank stopping fuel flow.

Good luck,
  #4   IP: 24.190.86.12
Old 05-17-2005, 04:40 PM

Red face Orange Stuff

I hear you, brother. I'm going forward with that plan. The valve is a great idea. Hopefully I'll end up with a bulb too. At lease I'll be using the boat again and be confident that the tank is it.
Someone told me the orange silty sludge is a residue from when a gas vending station's tank is commercially cleaned. I have no idea if this is true or not. I think my tank is aluminum but I am not sure.
In any event the orange sludge must go!
  #5   IP: 38.118.52.76
Old 05-18-2005, 11:40 AM

Shemandr,

I think you're on the right track to try an auxiliary tank. It's difficult for us to evaluate your fuel condition without actually seeing it, but I'm thinking it may be a rusty residue from water that was in your tank for a while.

Don
  #6   IP: 24.190.86.12
Old 05-19-2005, 09:11 AM

update

I spent some time on this yesterday. I removed the carb and this time it seemed pretty free of the orange gunk - maybe a spec of dirt in the main vent. I also noted that I apparently didn't install the gasket between the carb and the manifold. Thinking back to Don's warning re air leaks I made a gasket. The engine ran for an hour without shutting off.
  #7   IP: 152.163.100.134
Old 05-19-2005, 10:19 PM

Question 1973 Ericson gas tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoff
I think that's a good idea. I did the same thing for a similar problem and the engine ran fine.

I got a 3 gallon plastic tank (used for outboards) at West Marine. I then had a hose made up with the proper screw-in fitting for the tank and a screw-on fitting for the fuel filter end. I also put a valve at the filter end to be able to shut the fuel off and run the engine until it stops.

Maybe the orange junk is varnish from the gas being old. That's part of my problem, in addition to rust in the 30 year old steel tank. I'm in the (painful) process of pulling the tank and getting a new aluminum one made. I had to get towed in twice last summer due to crud in the tank stopping fuel flow.

Good luck,
Ralph,
My 1973 Ericson also occasionally drips orange oil from the carb after shutting off the engine. However, gas sampled from the gas line near the tank appears normal. I have assumed oil, and maybe carbon is somehow getting past the valves and into the carb. Perhaps Don will read this and shed some light on the origin of A4 Orange Goo. Also--check the top of your tank for a label; Mine has 13 gals, and Monel printed on it. You could be taking a step down in quality by going to aluminum from Monel. Good Luck, John
  #8   IP: 66.174.90.201
Old 05-20-2005, 11:29 PM

John,

Thanks for the info on your tank.

I just got mine out today. It came out much easier than I expected. The plate on the tank gives the material, but it was inscribed by hand and I can't make much sense of it. Doesn't say Monel, though. And mine is a 15 gallon one. Maybe your original one got replaced along the way.

Thanks,
  #9   IP: 24.190.86.12
Old 05-26-2005, 02:23 PM

Red face Tank is out

I took the tank out yesterday since the forecast is poor and I wouldn't lose any sailing time.
It was easy to take out and when I could inspect the inside in the cloud light I could see the bottom was covered with orange scaley material - ie rust! I opted to have a new one made rather than a cleanout. So I'm waiting for the estimate to come in.
I am pretty certain that the rust is what was in my fuel filter drainage and in the carb.
Drew
  #10   IP: 66.174.6.204
Old 05-27-2005, 11:44 AM

Drew,

I'm having a new duplicate made in aluminum (15 gal). The cost is $375, tax included. Being made by Berry Sheet Metal in Costa Mesa, CA (near me). They made many of the original Ericson tanks.

The fellow told me the original ones were made of galvanized steel with a rubber coating on the inside. As they get old the rubber starts to peel off, although I saw no sign of that. My problem was rust and varnish.

I know I'll have a lot more confidence when under power now.

Good luck on the re-install.
  #11   IP: 68.236.46.216
Old 05-30-2005, 09:57 PM

Unhappy Orange goo in my gas as well

After rebuilding the carb and fuel filter and still having problems, I siphoned some of my gas into a plastic soda bottle to see what I might see. This orange crud that others are speaking of seems to be popping up all over - I had what looked like orange jelly that sank to the bottom of my fuel. Since the fuel is taken from the bottom of the tank, I'm guessing that it fills up my pump and then plugs up the carb jets. Pulling the bowl of the fuel pump confirmed that the gunk is filling up the pump.

I rigged a "remote" fuel tank and powered myself back into the marina (50 minutes at 30% power) without having to call for a tow and then idled in the slip for another 20 minutes so I think that the fuel is the problem.

I pumped all the fuel out of the tank (10 gals worth) and took it home to figure out what I might do with it later...maybe if I filter it I can use it in the lawnmower.

I now have an empty tank (which I think is stainless steel) and probably a bunch of that orange gunk in the bottom. In my perfect world, I'd "flush out" the tank by putting some gas into it, shaking it up and then dumping it. Problem is, pumping it out is a pain and I'd like to avoid it again if possible. removing the tank is probably as much of a pain, so I'd like to avoid that as well. What I'm wondering is whether or not there is anything on the market that will help hold this gunk in solution so that it can be burned by the engine. Anyone have any suggestions on this one?
  #12   IP: 24.190.86.12
Old 06-03-2005, 11:31 AM

Red face

The estimate for having a new one built came in at $450 in aluminum. I'm trying not to be cheap (a genetic problem I am afflicted with) but I think its a "go away" price. They didn't want to build it the way the old one was because it is "More work".
I picked up the tank and took it to a radiator place who cleaned it out and put a liner in it. Cleaning alone did not remove all of the scale.
I'm still looking for a tank but since the urgency has vanished I hope to find a plastic one.
Does anyone know if a plastic tank can have the fill tube re cut and sealed in? Would that be a Coast Guard approved installation?
Drew
  #13   IP: 216.175.111.84
Old 06-06-2005, 07:15 PM

New Al Gas Tank...

My new 20 gal. aluminum gas tank, installed last month and made to the same dimension as the original 1978 steel tank for the Ranger 33, is a work of art at $250. Rubber like coating on the lower outside half to lessen chafe in it's wood supports.

Bob Bailey
San Pedro CA
  #14   IP: 24.190.86.12
Old 07-14-2005, 10:42 AM

Red face Followup

I tested the motor with a plastic 3 gallon tank and it was fine. I went on to have the tank cleaned out and relined (A new one was much more expensive and not readily available). The motor has run flawlessly except when I run out of gas (Since I am only filling it with jerry jugs with gas from a name brand station).
We did have an overheat situation when I was running into a 25 to 30 Kt wind dead on the bow for several hours. The waves were big and I speculate that the intake was coming out of the water.