• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlanP
    • May 2017

Loud noise when placed in foward gear

Help
    I have a 1982 C&C 30 Mk1, when I start the engine and place in forward gear there is a loud intermittent banging noise, does not seem to happen in reverse.
    I removed the drive shaft and ran the motor in gear and did not hear it. I then pulled the drive shaft checked it for warp then replaced the stuffing box and checked the cutlass bearing all checked out fine.
    Now I'm really worried.
    Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing the noise? Do I pull the motor and do a tear down?
    Regards
    Alan
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

What kind of prop do you have, folder?
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Nov 2008

Does the noise vary in pitch or loudness as the engine is revved up? On the surface, since the noise is absent in reverse, it sounds like something after the engine.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• CalebD
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

Looks to me as though the C&C 30 mk 1 has a strut securing the shaft under the boat. I suspect that the strut may be your problem as if that gets at all loose it will create noise/banging sounds.

I suggest you not use the engine until this is checked out and fixed as this could create a leak below the waterline if it is really compromised. I was motoring on a C&C 35' mk 3 last summer and we heard a banging noise. Turned out that 1 of 4 bolts holding the strut in place had mysteriously disappeared leaving a nice 1/4" hole in the hull allowing water in that overwhelmed the pump on that boat. We got a tow and emergency haul out.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by CalebD; 06-20-2017, 08:06 PM.
        Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
        A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

• sdemore
          • Nov 2016

My C&C 30 MK1 has a similar strut, but it isn't mounted in a hold chopped in the boat. I'm down in Mississippi for a funeral right now, but can post pics when I get back this weekend. This picture looks like a repair job done with a chainsaw, not a factory job.
          Steve Demore
          S/V Doin' It Right
          Pasadena, MD
          sigpic

Comment

• AlanP
            • May 2017

Loud noise....

Thanks for the response. I did try to move the strut back and forth by hand but it seemed solid. T
            he prop is a two blade geared martec folder, the noise was also there with a fixed two blade.
            The noise is intermittent I can hear low level clunking and when the revs increase the banging starts. At first I thought it was the reversing gear but was told different after checking out everything aft of the reversing gear I guess I'm back to that. I'll start at the bearing moving forward, looks like the motor needs to come out.
            Regards
            Alan

Comment

• Dave Neptune
              • Jan 2007

Alan, could the noise be coming from the "engine" or does it only happen in forward?

Dave Neptune

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                • Nov 2008

Are the motor mounts tight?

TRUE GRIT

Comment

Working...
                X