Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Ignition System

#1   IP: 71.220.127.169
Old 08-13-2016, 01:08 PM

possible ignition issue? indigo E.I.

I am having an intermittent issue with the motor for the past few weeks. I have done quite a few things trying to chase it down, getting ahead of myself, I did a few things at a time. Although it appears to be getting better it is still happening, and I am unable to put my finger on exactly what it is.
I am going to try and keep the posts in the proper area, so I will do each system seperately, but reffering to the same issue.
I originally thought it had to be fuel but it could be ignition or maybe even exhaust system?
The Issue:
Motor will randomely, sometimes right away and sometimes after running for awhile, act like it loses all power like the igntion was shut off, fires sporadically and then starts running again. every once in a while it will die long enough to stop, motor will have to be started again, which it will usually fire and run again.
In this post I will try to focus on igntion system, although I am leaning towards fuel, I will try to explain that in a seperate post.
I have early model prestolite distributor with indigo EI around 10-15 yrs. old.
While trying to chase this down I have replaced alot of things thinking if it doesnt help I will have a good spare.
D-cap, rotor, sprk plugs, wires, coil all replaced to nothing more than a slight change for the better?
All parts replaced are from MMI.
I do have the manual, and all the videos, and have read and watched them many times so I am not completely in the dark.
One thing I discovered is that the rotor from MMI does not work on indigo e.i. I noticed that p.o. had shaved down the head of rotor, and I was able to do the same.(will add pic) very strange, where do I get the proper rotor? not listed as an option on Indigo website.
Do u think this system could be malfunctioning in some way? The e.i. starting to go bad, the controller? box of indigo set up overheating going bad? (pic). Like I said I am leaning towards fuel but want to take on one system at a time. will add pics to show my distributor etc.
I have used a jumper from starter to coil to bypass the boats system and it still did it, checked all the boats system still an issue. When it dies i lose only rpm all other gauges are still powered. where am I on the ignition side of things? All spark plugs hot, and when its running its running good. only the intermittent loss of power and rpm.
I am going to start post on fuel system where I have also done quite a few things trying to chase this down. Thank you in advance for any advice or help.
Attached Images

#2   IP: 24.152.132.65
Old 08-13-2016, 01:15 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Do you still have the old points/condenser setup? Reverting back to it will be the litmus test on the health of the EI system. Dies again = EI system is not the problem. Doesn't die = EI is the culprit.

Your hotwire from starter to coil test was excellent.
  #3   IP: 71.220.127.169
Old 08-13-2016, 01:56 PM

No I dont have any of that unfortunately.
  #4   IP: 70.192.16.92
Old 08-13-2016, 04:47 PM

Tom Stevens of Indigo Electronics (800-428-8569) usually carriers distributor caps and rotors, as well as the electronics module and optical trigger for his EI kit (Crane Cams XR700). Give him a call. He can help you with testing.

I've had this EI system for 16 years. One failure I've had that may cause sporadic firing is a faulty optical trigger (the small plastic block that replaces the points in the distributor). A few years ago mine would trigger randomly. Obviously the engine frowned on that. The installation instructions that came with the EI kit tell how to test it.
  #5   IP: 71.220.127.169
Old 08-13-2016, 05:27 PM

thanks for this info, I will get right on it.