• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HalcyonS
    • Dec 2012

Afourian Knowledge Base

All -

we have some fantastic expertise and experience on this forum, and opportunities to compare notes and experiences. Doubtless the best knowledge base on the A4 that exists. Thanks to MMI for hosting and listening.

But - every time some newbie has a concern, they ask the same questions and our MVPs patiently give the same answers. And when you want the most up to date opinion/fix on a particular issue, everyone goes through the same process of crawling over threads, some of which meander.

Unless I'm missing something critical here (always possible) aside from the few faqs, there is no consolidation of knowledge. Isn't it time there was an A4 wiki? AFourpedia! We could all start topics and edit pages. It could be very cool.
    "Halcyon" 36' custom sloop. 8 tons. Glass over strip plank mahoghany. Spruce mast and booms, launched 1969. Original A4.
  • romantic comedy
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

I agree, but what will the guys do at night?

Comment

• roadnsky
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by romantic comedy View Post
      I agree, but what will the guys do at night?
      Uh... busted!
      -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
      sigpic
      1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Skywalker
        • Jan 2012

A4 wiki, afourpedia.

Afourmation?

Comment

• Administrator
          MMI Webmaster
          • Oct 2004

We could all start topics and edit pages.
          I think this is both the strength and weakness of what you're proposing.....

Bill

Comment

• Sammckay
            • Mar 2013

A4 Newby

I have inheritted a 1974 Pearson 30 which my brothers rebuilt the A4, sealed the freshwater intake and is now slowly loosing coolant... Due to the degradation of the cooling jackets by salt-water, he was required to insert helicoils when rebuilt. I suspect coolant is escaping through the exhaust. I am leery about keeping the A4 but a Universal Diesel upgrade will cost more than I can presently afford. Any suggestions from the gallery???http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/im...es/redface.gif
            Attached Files
            Fair Skies and Following Seas....

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Perform a manifold pressure test (use the forum's search feature to find the details) and if indicated, replace the manifold.
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California
              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• roadnsky
                Afourian MVP
                • Dec 2008

Hmmm...

Originally posted by HalcyonS View Post
                ...But - every time some newbie has a concern, they ask the same questions and our MVPs patiently give the same answers...
                I guess we just got a perfect example?
                -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                sigpic
                1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• HalcyonS
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Sammckay View Post
                  I have inheritted a 1974 Pearson 30 which my brothers rebuilt the A4, sealed the freshwater intake and is now slowly loosing coolant... Due to the degradation of the cooling jackets by salt-water, he was required to insert helicoils when rebuilt. I suspect coolant is escaping through the exhaust. I am leery about keeping the A4 but a Universal Diesel upgrade will cost more than I can presently afford. Any suggestions from the gallery???http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/im...es/redface.gif
                  Nice boat, potentially nice engine. Diesel swapout is likely to be more trouble and much more expensive. Feedback from this forum is worth more than money. As they say, you've some to the right place' - *but* please post in new or relevant thread!
                  Last edited by HalcyonS; 07-24-2013, 06:06 PM.
                  "Halcyon" 36' custom sloop. 8 tons. Glass over strip plank mahoghany. Spruce mast and booms, launched 1969. Original A4.

Comment

• HalcyonS
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by roadnsky View Post
                    I guess we just got a perfect example?
                    yes, exactly!

" Quote:
                    We could all start topics and edit pages.

I think this is both the strength and weakness of what you're proposing.....

Bill "

Bill - and all -

The strength is that we can organise the knowledge squirrelled away on thousands of posts into a useful and efficient resource. MVPs will not have to do what Neil just did - again. Previous point about 'what will the guys do in the evenings?' notwithstanding - I hope they have better things to do than say the same thing a hundred times.

Wikis' do seem to work - tho I've never been on the admin side of one. So some admin guidance would be needed. But we know the general topics, they're obvious and already exist as discussion topics.

A centralised repository of diagrams (wiring etc) and testing routines would be very useful, ie, to test alternator voltage output - you need tools a, b, c. Then do p, q, r. You should see x,y, z.

Simply putting up a wiki framework and asking members to suggest sub-topics would nail the structure, after a few iterations. Occasional reorg may be necessary, or crosslinks. And then members can add and edit within the structure. This might eliminate weaknesses and hopefully minimise admin load.

Taking the wikipedia model, an editorial board composed of the likely suspects, could deliberate on structure and restructuring, to take some weight off admin.

Then, when a newbie asks question 27 for the x hundredth time, we simply refer them to the relevant Afourpedia entry. And we can all find stuff without asking which if the many threads has the currently definitive info.

I recognise the discussion board does serve a useful community a service - we don't want to lose this, but at this point, an awful lot is repetitive stuff too.
                    Last edited by HalcyonS; 07-24-2013, 06:08 PM.

Comment

• ndutton
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

The problem as I see it is reaching a consensus on a particular issue or any issue for that manner. If members can edit an entry other than their own (the Wiki model), using the manifold pressure test I mentioned in another thread as an example, what happens when the original author says test @5 PSI, another edits to say 20 PSI, somebody else changes it to 10 PSI? Or what about the gift that keeps on giving, electronic ignition system guidelines and parameters? How many cooks in the kitchen on that one?
                      • PCV system? Don't get me started.
                      • Thermostat, no thermostat or after market thermostat? What temperature?
                      • Fuel pump, mechanical or electric?
                      • Alternator size and/or output voltage? Adjustable or fixed regulator?
                      • Props? Whoa Nelly!
                      • Hot sections, galvanized, black iron or stainless?

and so on . . . .
                      Neil
                      1977 Catalina 30
                      San Pedro, California

Comment

• roadnsky
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                        The problem as I see it is reaching a consensus on a particular issue or any issue for that manner.

and so on . . . .
                        And that's why we're a "forum".

I do agree 100% with Neil that it'd be nice to come to a conclusion on certain key "issues/resolutions" with our A4's.
                        A majority consensus? Judged/overseen by Bill?
                        Of course, some discussions will ALWAYS be ongoing. (PCV, Thermostat, Fuel Pump, etc)
                        But some can be agreed to agree.
                        The Coil/Resistor with EI comes to mind. (I'm in the camp that feels we've solved this)

One thing that might address HalcyonS main concern.
                        (That of answering questions over and over)
                        Perhaps a READ THIS FIRST thread for Newbies that points out the use of the search function for current or hot topics, the documents section, etc.
                        It might filter some of the repeat "mis-posts"?

In any event, the reason we come here and participate is because it keeps the knowledge juices flowing and I've yet to miss learning something new here at least once a week.
                        Last edited by roadnsky; 07-24-2013, 08:40 PM.
                        -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                        sigpic
                        1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• ndutton
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

Maybe it's just me but I don't get annoyed seeing the same questions and answers for new members. Sometimes a fresh answer to a repeat question will have a tidbit or two of new information or a slightly different perspective. Plus, a personalized answer to a new member's question can be very welcoming.

I like keeping the conversations fresh and active. My 2¢.

On the other hand, any of you old gassers here post another picture of a galvanized hot section and I just might Chernobyl.
                          Last edited by ndutton; 07-24-2013, 09:49 PM.
                          Neil
                          1977 Catalina 30
                          San Pedro, California

Comment

• Skywalker
                            • Jan 2012

As a newb who benefited tremendously this season, I benefited from looking at old posts but felt free to ask questions, even if it was a covered topic.

This forums strength, beside the info and experienced members, is its friendly, welcoming, nature. It is obvious to all that you can jump in and ask anything.

If it ain't broke...

Chris

Comment

• roadnsky
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                              ...Sometimes a fresh answer to a repeat question will have a tidbit or two of new information or a slightly different perspective. Plus, a personalized answer to a new member's question can be very welcoming.
                              Originally posted by Skywalker View Post
                              As a newb who benefited tremendously this season, I benefited from looking at old posts but felt free to ask questions, even if it was a covered topic.

This forums strength, beside the info and experienced members, is its friendly, welcoming, nature. It is obvious to all that you can jump in and ask anything.

If it ain't broke...
                              Very good points.
                              -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                              sigpic
                              1978 RANGER 30

Comment

Working...
                              X