• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregH
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2015

Delving Deeper into Knowledge - blindly

Got around to spring commissioning the engine yesterday.. Finally have the distributor able to be twisted/adjustable and gentle cleaned all the contacts.

Had a first look at the flyweights; I'm up in fresh water and no idea the last time these were ever looked at (first time since I got the engine - 2 yrs). They really did not move well at all - I'm guessing this might be one factor in my upper end issues?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190609_114011.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	205650

Little cleaning and 1000% better though I know I need to get some new springs and get it fixed up right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190609_114908.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	205651
    Greg
    1975 Alberg 30
    sigpic
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Springs

Greg, nice work. Both MMI and Indigo offer new "lighter" springs that advance the timing a bit faster than the stock springs. The "quicker" advance is because the fuels today "burn" better.
    Removing the weights and springs from their posts is an easy task, HOWEVER getting the springs off the posts must be done with a bit of care so you don't change their "length", very important. The removal will allow for easier cleaning.
    The new quicker springs are certainly worth the effort if you have the distributor apart.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Nov 2008

You're off to a great start.
      When you get the new springs disassemble the advance and soak the parts overnight in vinegar or lime away to get rid of all the corrosion. Clean out the distributor too, especially where the weighs touch it.
      The flyweights need to move friction free as possible for the best advance performance.
      Put "check the advance" your list of yearly maintenance duties.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Administrator
        MMI Webmaster
        • Oct 2004

One note of caution:

Be careful not to reinstall the advance mechanism backwards. Read this thread.

Bill
        Last edited by Administrator; 06-10-2019, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X