X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nyvoyager
    • Jun 2012

Bolt removal

About to pull this engine. Everything disconnected except for shaft coupling and two engine mount bolts on the starboard side. They are completely rusted on.
    Do you think an oscillating tool with s metal blade will cut through them?
    Last edited by nyvoyager; 05-25-2019, 03:35 PM.
  • Peter
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2016

I had the same problem and used a nut splitter - very handy tool on an old boat.

I replaced my engine mounts and it was a very good move - made aligning the engine a snap.

Peter

Comment

• nyvoyager
      • Jun 2012

Thanks Peter I've used these before. . I think there is enough room. Will check in the morning.

Comment

• goodoldboat
        • May 2017

I used the oscillating tool to remove the lower rusted bolt on the water pump
        worked like a charm ...
        S/V Gosling
        Westport CT .

“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing- as simply messing about in boats.”
        ― Kenneth Grahame

Comment

• romantic comedy
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2007

I love using an angle grinder. Also a dremel with a metal bit can get in tiny places, but it takes time and finesse.

Comment

• wristwister
            • Nov 2013

All 3 shaft coupling bolts were just blobs of un-wrenchable metal when I did an A4 replacement. Sawz-all'd what was left of the bolt heads off, used a grinder to get things flush, then used a chisel, a big hammer, and ample cussing to split the coupling apart.

I'm guessing the same technique might work for those mount bolts.
            "A ship in the harbor is safe ... but that's not what ships are built for.

Comment

• nyvoyager
              • Jun 2012

Thanks everyone - After soaking in penetrating fluid for a week, I blocked the prop against the hull and with a breaker bar they all came out

Comment

Working...
              X