X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GMcK106
    • Jan 2013

Out with the Old

Pulled the engine using my mainsheet and backup mainsheet block systems. One dead ended at the end of the boom with the main halyard taking the load off the boom and the other on the jib halyard thru the deck partner. Worked great to get the engine to the companionway. Third block was used to help.lift thru the companionway.

Swung it out to the dock on the end of the boom.
    Attached Files
  • Midnight Mist
    • Oct 2013

Out with the old

Just went thru that. Also had to pull engine at dock. Actually not to bad. good luck, hope all goes well. here's my moyer rebuilt in place.Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	195505

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

Well...at least you didn't use the lifting eye on the head - but IMO I would still sling the engine.

Comment

• Trés 30
        • May 2014

Was it Broke?

Hey GM,
        What made you decide to pull the engine? Seems it was runnin just last year.
        Are you replacing w/ a freshly rebuilt?

Comment

• GMcK106
          • Jan 2013

Why I Reeplaced

Was running strong until the block finally eroded a hole thru by one of the exhaust ports into the water jacket.

This method of lifting the engine was a one man job. Only needed help rolling it to the truck.

Comment

• romantic comedy
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2007

Is that engine hanging from the middle of the boom, with nothing holding it up at that point? (only the end)

Comment

• GMcK106
              • Jan 2013

Boom Loading

The load was shared between the block leading forward to the mast connected to the jib halyard (removed partner block to pass thru), the main halyard at the end of the mast. Third block was used to finish lifting over the companionway when the angles got too near straight between them. Didn't get any deflection on the boom. Vang provides lots more force.

Boom held the entire weight when I swung it over to the dock, the main halyard was backing up the weight at the end. Second block was there for safety. Rigging was tensioned normally.

Tartan 30 uses a pretty stout mast and boom. Not a "bendy" rig.

Comment

• Al Schober
                Afourian MVP
                • Jul 2009

GMcK..
                What's that big bottle jack for? 25 years with a T30, and I've never had a need for anything like that..

Comment

• GMcK106
                  • Jan 2013

Out with the old

Bottle jack went everywhere boats & stuff were moved since I was a kid, along with some rollers made out of 3" iron pipe. Neither was needed.

The best part of the removal was the way I was able to "walk" the engine from the front of the cabin to the companionway by pulling one of the sheet blocks and letting out the other. Third block system was needed to get the motor over the companionway because the angle was getting too straight between them.

Install should be easier, especially the shaft alignment. (I hope)

Comment

Working...
                  X