X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jimmy
    • Aug 2011

All is good!

I have finally got my A-4 back to her former reliable self.
    Thanks Kurt , Dave , Maurice , Domenic and others.
    If you recall , engine was cutting out , at numerous intervals.
    After replacing the polishing filter , sediment bowl washer , fuel lines, and adding a water/fuel filter , priming bulb, as well as checking the pick-up and vent , I moved to the electrical side.......checked and replaced coil , rotor , condenser , and points.
    Finally today , I threw a "hail mary" , and marched to the boat with a new ignition switch in hand. After installing the new , I broke open the old one and there it was........chunks of crap and corrosion on the internal contacts!Turns out a PO installed the switch in completly upside down , thus leaving the tiny drain holes at the top of the switch , and therfore not allowing any condesation to drain.
    Fired it up right away , and motored around the Marina for an hour or so. Couldn't kick the smile off my face.
    Another 30 min motor to the lake , few hours for sailing and motor sailed back in for the last hour , just to make sure.
    Hot Diggitty.....All is right in the world , even if it was just for this afternoon

Thanks again for all the advice , she is again , one sweet ride!
    sigpic
    Jimmy
    C&C 29 MK1
    Erieau , Lake Erie
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

Good for you

Good for you Jimmy,
    Just keep in mind what happened because someone will end up with the same problem at some point...and you will have kicked that cat around a little bit.

All the Best
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• adab1402
      • Mar 2007

Life is full of little victories

"The Dude Abides "

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Jan 2007

Thumbs up!

Jimmy, good gneus for sure. Thanx for the heads up on your progress.
        I bet the A-4 now has more confidence in you and may just show it for a while.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• rigspelt
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2008

Yay! Wish I had the time to go through the archives and count up the number of times this pesky problem turned out to be an ignition switch. If only they were better made.
          1974 C&C 27

Comment

• domenic
            • Jul 2010

It sure feels good when you fix it yourself don't it Jimmy. First time out you feel like looking for a new engine. After you fix it once...you come to understand just how simple the engine is.
            The Moyer Marine forum is like having your own engine shop.

Comment

Working...
            X