• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gary randall
    • Jan 2010

Remote starter

Forumites,

I have bought a push button remote starter to make it easier to work on the engine down below.
    But I am not sure how to attach the wires to the solenoid.
    One to the large positive lead and one to the S terminal and just push the button? Doesn't seem to work....
    I currently have all of the ignition wires disconnected and the distributor and coil removed. I have jumper cables running from the battery, positive to large positive on the solenoid, negative to starter bolt.
    I just want to turn it over so I can make sure all of the keepers and springs I installed will stay where they belong.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Like a hot wire

Gary, the "S" terminal and the hot side of the selonoid will work. I use mine every time the boat has set without me on it. It gives me a good visual of the motor before departing.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• gary randall
      • Jan 2010

Does the S terminal...

Dave,
      Is the S terminal wired to the starter motor, too?
      At one point, I did have the push-button starter connected to the S terminal and positive post on solenoid.... All I was getting was a click. Might I have a bad starter?
      Or could that be a sign that the pistons and cylinders are still a little gunked up and the engine is partially seized. (It is somewhat hard to turn over with a screwdriver in the flywheel......

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

gary...you still need to turn the ignition switch to "ON" I think, to keep power to the coil for run.

I set mine on"S" & the big battery terminal...went to the cockpit and turned the key to on, and then went below and pulled the 'trigger'..she turned right over & ran...if she doesn't run after cranking, just don't forget to turn off the key to avoid frying the coil.
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• gclayton
          • Feb 2008

Gary
          I just used one while resurecting my A4. It could be you have a low battery or connection issue. Make sure all connections are tight and clean. Using mine it worked but then only clicked. I had not tightened the battery cables enough. Thighted em up and worked great
          George Clayton
          sv ADULLUM II
          C30

"The Majesty Of The Sea Far Exceeds The Muscle Of Language To Express It" Unknown

Comment

Working...
          X