• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Laker
    • Sep 2010

If torqueing was easy ,

Everyone would do it!

Looking over my A4 , primed and ready for final paint , it occured to me that I should make sure that all the fasteners in the block are at the proper torque values before finishing. As with many things , that turned out to be a minor project.

The aft cap screws which hold the oil pan , accessable from the top , were a piece of cake. The ones which must be accessed from the bottom were not so easy. First I had to take a sawzall and carve up the pallet upon which the engine is mounted in order to get the torque wrench into position. I cut away so much of the on-edge 2x8 that I think I will have to reinforce it prior to heading back down the yard. Then , as I worked my way forward to the cap screws near the flywheel housing I found that several flywheel housing fasteners had to come out to allow the socket to be put onto the upward facing oil pan cap screws.

I did get the satisfaction of seeing sealent ooze out ever so slightly , in seam between the block and the pan , as I got the click from the torque wrench. That makes me think that the pan is well seated and will not leak.

Anyone know the practical reason why some of the pan fasteners are so hard to get at , as in , from the bottom only? I would think that they are near impossible to check in most installations.

Laker
    1966 Columbia 34 SABINA
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

That problem with the most forward oil pan cap screws can be reduced by using allen head cap screws.

Comment

• ButchPetty
      • Jul 2010

Your supposed to prime em before you paint em ????

(oil pan)-See the fasteners ????? I cant even see the oil pan....well, a little on the aft end.

Still trying to motivate and put the chain on mine. I keep thinking, "this is going to require long hours of sobriety." Cant wrap myself around that just yet...but I'm in training.
      sigpic
      ButchPetty.com

Comment

• ArtJ
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by ButchPetty View Post
        Your supposed to prime em before you paint em ????

(oil pan)-See the fasteners ????? I cant even see the oil pan....well, a little on the aft end.

Still trying to motivate and put the chain on mine. I keep thinking, "this is going to require long hours of sobriety." Cant wrap myself around that just yet...but I'm in training.
        Butch

Maybe you can turn the block into a "one time still" prior to pulling it?
        Just add raisins, malt etc?

Comment

• ButchPetty
          • Jul 2010

Don't put no ideas in my head.
          sigpic
          ButchPetty.com

Comment

• lat 64
            Afourian MVP
            • Oct 2008

Be still my heart

I feel another art project coming on
            sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• ButchPetty
              • Jul 2010

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
              That problem with the most forward oil pan cap screws can be reduced by using allen head cap screws.
              Hey Hanley, I've been looking about the neighborhood seeing if anyone might have heard of that there "Lord Nelson" fellow. Or if they ever heard him say them words. So far ain't no one stepped forward.

I love those words. I think all of us at one time or another could apply them. So before I copied them I got to diggin and couldn't really find anything of substance. What do you know that us sub species dont?
              sigpic
              ButchPetty.com

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

Butch - I know that the British consider Admiral Lord Nelson to be a great national hero, the winner at Trafalgar I think. Not sure when he uttered those famous words.

Comment

• roadnsky
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Dec 2008

Everything you could possibly want to know about Horatio Nelson...

-Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                  sigpic
                  1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• 13jeff13
                    • Jan 2011

I have a book By Anne Hammick,, "Ocean Cruising On A Budget",, who also uses the quote among many others. " It is ports that rot both ships and Men. Get to sea as soon as possible." (Admiral Lord Nelson)

Another favorite...
                    "No man will be a sailor who has the contrivance enough to get himself in jail... A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company." (Boswell's Life of Johnson)
                    With Powerboats, it's about the destination. With Sailboats, you are already there.

Jeff

S/V Karinya
                    1973 Grampian 30', Full Keel, A4 aux.
                    sigpic

Comment

• sastanley
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Sep 2008

Butch,
                      I found that a beer or three usually isn't a problem with the procedures required of this simple engine...now, once I got into the rum, I stay away from the tools & heavy thinking.

Speaking of that, I have a couple of rules about tools and alcohol..nothing more exciting than maybe a sander, jig saw or drill if I've had a beer that day.. table saws, mitre saws, circular saws, drill press, etc., most anything that will remove a careless finger, are off limits! (eh, I'll get to that tomorrow!)
                      -Shawn
                      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                      sigpic

Comment

• lat 64
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Oct 2008

Tools+booze=bad form

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
                        Butch,

Speaking of that, I have a couple of rules about tools and alcohol..nothing more exciting than maybe a sander, jig saw or drill if I've had a beer that day.. table saws, mitre saws, circular saws, drill press, etc., most anything that will remove a careless finger, are off limits! (eh, I'll get to that tomorrow!)
                        Ditto.
                        The cocktails are reserved for posting on the internet and running naked through the woods.

Chin chin,
                        r
                        sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• ArtJ
                          • Sep 2009

Even a sander can become vicious if not handled carefully with gloves it
                          can easily abraide skin or cut deep gashes!

Comment

• sastanley
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Sep 2008

Art you are right. I am talking about a little DeWalt Dual Action sander with 80 to 220 grit paper hooked up to my Shop Vac to get the 30 years of goop off my interior teak pieces so I can varnish them. ONE piece at a time..

That is a great in-the-garage-having-a-beer-while-watching-football activity.
                            -Shawn
                            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                            sigpic

Comment

• ArtJ
                              • Sep 2009

I have a DeWalt " Palm Sander " with circular disks which is a great sander with many orbits
                              per second. It can do a great job, but can also gouge Gel coat instantly,
                              or gouge your hand instantly if not carefully used.

Regards

Art

Comment

Working...
                              X