Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Introductions

#1   IP: 68.105.149.51
Old 05-10-2010, 10:02 PM

Red face Atomic 4 gas in Ranger 28 Tall Rig

Hello! I am new to these forums and I am hoping to get my "new" Ranger 28 tall rig from Fort Worth where it is located to New Orleans where I'll be sailing on the great Lake Ponchartrain. It is equipped with an Atomic 4 and my friend suggested I get acquainted with this site as it is good information about everything pertaining to the engine that is in Vamos.
Reading over the forums I am pleased to see many discussions pertaining the different aspects of this venerable engine. It is my hope that I will have long use of this great engine with little or no problems. I am generally mechanically inclined so I should fare well with a bit of guidance on the issues at hand.
While Vamos was on the hard for 3 years, the engine had recently been worked over, I am not expecting any problems from what I am seeing here in the forums. My friend is expecting to try to start it in the next few days and let me know the results. I am sure some of you can chime in with your stories on what happened when yours or a friends sat there for a few years and they tried to start it up.

Thanks, and glad to be here!
  #2   IP: 98.217.114.66
Old 05-11-2010, 08:04 AM
Afourian MVP

Smile Overheating

Most of the literature and comments I have read identify overheating as the biggest single probem encountered with the A4. Very early on I trained myself to lean over the stern pulpit and visually check to be sure she was pumping water; even though I have since learned to listen for the change in sound that has been suggested, I still can't stop myself from going thru the drill anyway - a healthy benefit of the OCD! Happy sailing days to you!
  #3   IP: 68.242.155.67
Old 05-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Afourian MVP

Will-
Welcome to the forum. It's the best site going for all things A4.
I've got a Ranger, as do some of the other forum gang, so we can chime in on engine access and cable paths when things come up.

As you get into learning more about her, ask questions; be as detailed as you can and take pics too.
You'll get a lot of varied opinions but definitely a wealth of info too.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Ranger 30 brochure page 2 2500 size.pdf (644.7 KB, 773 views)

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30
  #4   IP: 68.105.149.51
Old 05-11-2010, 03:44 PM

Thanks HC and Jerry!

@HC I am sure I will be looking over the transom to make sure, as I don't hear too well. Maybe I can develop the feeling for it. I do plan to make sure that I have a temp guage where I can see it from the cockpit. Maybe if I can integrate it into a nav system so I can see it on the screen or something. Just fishing there. LOL!!

@Jerry, nice looking boat! Vamos has a spinnaker and screecher and I have never sailed with either of those. I just need to locate a furler as the 150 genny needs one. There is no other jib as far as I can tell. Just can't wait to get the boat here so I can play with it.

Will