• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • High Hopes
    Afourian MVP
    • Feb 2008

Dipstick Kit Mod

Due to the tight quarters of my A-4 in the engine compartment of my Sabre 28, I can not use the oil dipstick extension kit as it comes out of the box. I have had to shorten it so that it will not bump into the engine compartment supports/wall. I have also had to rotate the handle to get it to clear the opening under which it must pass.

I will need to shorten the stick to match the shortened tube. Can anyone tell me how far the dipstick extends below the set screw fitting?

Steve
    Attached Files
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Steve,

You'll probably be better off to simply shorten the dip stick by the amount you shortened the tube.

Don

Comment

• High Hopes
      Afourian MVP
      • Feb 2008

Duh, good idea! Why didn't I think of that. Now if I can only find the scrap I cut off!
      Last edited by High Hopes; 05-05-2008, 01:31 PM. Reason: comment

Comment

• David Masury
        • Oct 2004

Steve...stick the dip stick in the tube, measure the amount sticking out and cut that amount off.... round the end with a file.... but, look where the marks are on the (to be cut end)end and using a file... mark the cut end the same. It will be close enough.

David

Comment

• High Hopes
          Afourian MVP
          • Feb 2008

Oil leak or no?

I had over 5 quarts of engine oil in my A4 which is running at home in my garage. There was an oil leak that appeared at the bottom of the rear gasket seal. This made a small 3 inch wide puddle of oil on the bench. There was one drop of oil still hanging on the engine above the pool.

This drip didn't seem to be forming from the shaft. There were no traces of oil I could find on the rear of the engine, except for the very bottom of the rear gasket.

I drained five quarts of oil from the engine and filled it back with three. The oil pool has not shown up since. The plugs, which had shown oil previously, now were cleaner. This suggested to me that I had too much oil in the engine.

ASIDE: I found, on Bob Hess's spec sheet, an item that identifies how much oil to add to the engine. For my 9 1/2 degree mount, three quarts are recommended.

Do I have a problem or not? Should oil never leak out of the rear of the engine - even when it is overfilled?

Steve

Comment

• Don Moyer
            • Oct 2004

Steve,

The easiest way to know if your rear seal will leak after installation in your boat is to tip your engine on a slant approximating your 9 1/2 degrees and then fill the crankcase with oil to the full mark on the dip stick (Universal's recommendation for any degree of slant). Early model dipsticks have four "full marks", each corresponding to a different degree of slant; but Universal got away from that practice with the advent of the late model engines.

In most installations, the oil level will reach the rear seal when maintaining oil level to the full mark on late model dipsticks.

Don

Comment

• High Hopes
              Afourian MVP
              • Feb 2008

I see; that's what's happening. With more oil, the level hits the seal. I pulled the rear power shaft. The oil ring looks oogy, especially at the bottom. I will order a replacement today. Thanks.

Comment

• High Hopes
                Afourian MVP
                • Feb 2008

FYI,

I installed the new rear oil seal. No drips so far. Thanks for stocking these, Don.

Three quarts seems to be about right for a late model A4 tilted at 9.5 degrees. The plugs are much happier without swimming in 5 quarts.

Also got the adjustable main jet kit for the carnuraetor and installed it. I was running a #24 fixed jet. I can lean out the mixture and now and the plugs are even happier than before.

Just need a few fittings and the engine is DONE.

Now on to the bilge and wiring.

I want to thank everyone, and especially Don, for this forum. It is very satisfying to have my engine running well without oil, gas, and water leaks and without fouled plugs.

Thanks again to all.

BTW, I tested the flush valve a few weeks ago and it works great.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                X