Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Reversing Gear

#1   IP: 68.179.114.41
Old 06-20-2015, 03:08 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to sleonhard
Prop shaft disengaging

went to leave the dock yesterday and no prop response. I found that the prop shaft had slid back and was not engaging I slid it back in place prop engaged and shaft slid back out help!!!
  #2   IP: 74.79.72.154
Old 06-20-2015, 05:04 PM

Had the same problem-it's pretty alarming went it happens unexpectedly. In my case, some oil had got on the set screw, lubricating it, and allowing to unscrew itself. First, try and find the shaft key. It likely slid out with the shaft and is now somewhere in the bilge. If you can't find it, you'll have to buy a new one, it's just standard 1/4" key stock, about 1-1 1/2 inches long. Next, see if the set screw is still in the coupling. Some older couplers have two set screws. If those are still in, remove them, clean them up well and reinstall with blue (242) Loctite once you've slid the shaft and key back in. They're what holds the shaft in place so it doesn't back out.

If you need more clarification, I can try and get some photos for you.

Rhodes Swiftsure 33 SV “Clio”
Sparrow’s Point, MD
  #3   IP: 108.90.160.12
Old 06-20-2015, 05:04 PM

Sounds like a your set screw on the coupler is loose or missing. Worse case is you may have to replace the coupler with a new split job sold by our hosts.
78' Catalina 30 #1179
www.svknotaclew.wordpress.com
  #4   IP: 68.179.114.41
Old 06-21-2015, 07:48 AM

sets screws

avery can you tell me where it is located or show a photo or schematic
thanx Len
  #5   IP: 108.90.160.12
Old 06-21-2015, 08:28 AM

http://www.moyermarine.com/cgi-bin/s...rebuilder.html

What type of boat and what size shaft?
78' Catalina 30 #1179
www.svknotaclew.wordpress.com
  #6   IP: 68.179.114.41
Old 06-21-2015, 09:45 AM

Smile found it

disassembled the coupling washer and nut floating around inside
  #7   IP: 68.179.114.41
Old 06-26-2015, 07:07 PM

My problem is continuing

I bolted the coupling back together and all seamed well I backed out of of my slip fine and shifted into forward ok and was running quite smooth however when returning to my slip it would not shift out of forward...made for a rather embarrassing docking. I found that the linkage had come loose behind the carb.
Anyway where I am at now is I have disconnected the prop shaft again and the part closest to the engine is now firmly in place but I cannt get it to shift out of forward I clamped vice grips to the top of the shifter on the engine for leverage and it won't budge I started the engine with the prop shaft unattached thinking it might shift running but no luck

As a foot note unsure of what I was doing I had removed the cover plate looking for what might have been a retaining pin and thought that the adjustment screw for the pressure plate was what I was looking for and in the process broke the threaded part on the pressure plate I spun it around and drilled out and threaded one of the flat spots on the other side so I know my adjustment is not right and now I can't get the groved adjustment ring to spin
Len
  #8   IP: 174.94.24.232
Old 06-26-2015, 09:35 PM
Afourian MVP

Do you have an MMI manual?

#9   IP: 66.183.216.165
Old 06-27-2015, 02:52 AM

adjustment

Not sure about the "drilled out the flat part" bit, but the adjusting collar in the transmission can get stuck - happened to me. My new MMI rebuild arrived stuck but Don himself talked me through the fix. (Like being back stage with Neil Young). Not sure if that is your problem, but perhaps the info below will help.

First be sure the locking nut is screwed out far enough to allow movement.

The three "fingers" that lock the transmission into forward can seize up on the adjusting collar. You need to wiggle the forward end of each in turn as you wiggle the adjusting collar. Careful 'cause once that gets loosened it is easy to lose your place so to speak....and not know where it was set before.

If that doesn't work you can GENTLY use a ball peen hammer on a screw driver and tap the adjusting collar "around".

You might consider downloading the Moyer video on adjusting the transmission. MMI Manual is a must.

#10   IP: 66.87.117.140
Old 06-27-2015, 11:52 AM

You were back stage with Neil Young. Let's hear that story😀
  #11   IP: 68.179.114.41
Old 06-27-2015, 11:53 AM

Red face progress report

I set a socket over the bolt holding the linkage , threaded a nut on a long bolt which i set in the end of the socket, and backed it out against the shifter til it gently slid into neutral (put that one in the manual) now that the pressure is off the plate I can move it to make the adjustment, which I am about to start. everything else has been put back together
  #12   IP: 66.183.216.165
Old 06-27-2015, 12:57 PM

Nice move. And Neil Young.

"threaded a nut on a long bolt which i set in the end of the socket, and backed it out against the shifter til it gently slid into neutral "

Had to read that a few times to understand. Nice way to do it. Once free the collar needs to go counter clockwise (viewed from the stern) to make forward easier to shift in and out. It took me quite a few tries to get the right adjustment for forward and then set the reversing band correctly.
_______

azazzera:

As you probably know I meant the Neil Young comment as a metaphor for getting close to a celebrity. After a dozen years of lurking, pleading, crying and sometimes cheering on this forum it was a bit strange to by up to my elbows in the transmission with Don on the cell phone patiently talking me through the problem. A real gentleman.
However, my wife did meet Neil Young back stage long before I knew her.

Marty

#13   IP: 66.87.117.140
Old 06-27-2015, 02:40 PM

I kinda figured that. Being a big fan of his I took a shot. He started a project some time ago getting his catalog back on vinyl to rescue the music from today's over digital manipulation. As all the dedicated and generous people on this forum and at mmi strive to keep the a4 alive i think there might be a metaphor in there someplace as well. I am one that have benefited from both of the artist dedication. Young/ Moyer and co.