Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Fuel System

#1   IP: 67.142.181.24
Old 03-06-2015, 01:35 AM

Gasoila E-seal pipe thread sealant

Hey Afourians!
I ran into this stuff on line and have ordered some to check it out.
Not trying to reinvent the wheel, but with ethanol issues this may be something new that is needed.

So far I have been able to not put any ethanol into my new tank, but you never know when you might have to if in a bind for gas...

Here is a description of the product by the manufacturer:

"Gasoila E-seal pipe thread sealant is a green paste that seals and lubricates NPT threads on metal pipes used with ethanol-blended gasoline. The sealant includes PTFE to help lubricate and prevent corrosion on pipe threads, joints, fittings, hoses, nozzles, pump assemblies, oil burners, hydraulics, bolts, compressors, engines, motors, fuel lines and couplings. The sealant is non-toxic. It can be used on all metals, including brass, copper, stainless steel, aluminum, black pipe, tin, and galvanized steel. The sealant has excellent resistance to gasoline and ethanol-blended petroleum, including E10 and E85, as well as petroleum solvents, kerosene diesel oil, biodiesel propane, butane, liquefied petroleum gas, cutting oils, ammonia, aliphatic solvents, acids and steam. When applied as recommended, the compound seals pipe thread connections up to 10,000 psi for liquids and up to 3,000 psi for gases. The sealant has a temperature range from -100 to +600 degrees F (-74 to +318 degrees C). The sealant meets Underwriters Laboratories (UL) standards
Pipe thread sealants are used in pipe connections to help prevent liquid and gas leaks. The sealant compound is applied to pipe threads, typically with a brush, prior to assembly to fill gaps between the threads for a tight seal. Sealants also act as a lubricant for installation, and may include additives such as PTFE to help prevent corrosion and seizing of components."

Anybody have any experience with it?
It is green.....well if it works I can overlook the color.

Cheers!

Elizabeth

1965 Bristol 29
Hull number 84

Last edited by Elizabeth_B29; 03-06-2015 at 01:38 AM. Reason: add boat
The Following User Says Thank You to Elizabeth_B29 For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (09-15-2020)
  #2   IP: 104.35.193.188
Old 03-06-2015, 08:36 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,298 Times in 844 Posts
Elizabeth, I have not seen any of the Teflon or pipe compounds break down due to the ethanol in the fuel. This stuff may be better however I have not seen a problem that it actually would fix~yet.
The big problem with E-laced fuels is the shelf life and eating up the f/glass tanks.
I use my boat and engine a lot and have never had a fuel related problem or even a clogged filter, yes I have yet to ever change a filter in my Racor in 25+ years. I have had 2 Racors and replaced not a single filter other than the new one with the new filter!!!!!!!!! The "new" one is over 15 years in service now. I buy fuel from a gas station only never a marina.
Before E-fuel was available I would always dump an ounce or two of "stove fuel alcohol" into the tank to absorb any water in the tank.
I use no other additives unless burning up my old outboard fuel.
I see the E-fuel being blamed for poor maintenance and grimy tanks when in most cases it is the new fuel breaking down old deposits from poor maintenance. The E-fuel just needs to be used up sooner than the non E type fuels regarding old carbureted engines.

Dave Neptune
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Neptune For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (09-15-2020)
  #3   IP: 71.178.91.245
Old 03-06-2015, 10:53 PM
Afourian MVP

Elizabeth,

What Dave said (I lug jerry cans from a non-ethanol marina to the boat), but I'd really like to see a pic of the green stuff in action. Maybe it helps keep moisture wicking around the threads and mixing with the corn-o-fuel and then separating in the tank or something. - which doesn't really make sense since our tanks are all vented to the atmosphere, so I am just guessing.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif
  #4   IP: 67.142.181.25
Old 03-09-2015, 06:42 PM

Question Gasoila-E Thread sealant

Yep, I haven't let a drop of ethanol into my new tank...lug the jerry cans too.

This stuff is thread sealant only. Just got it in, it looks like light greenish pipe dope. Can order on Amazon...
I have a leak I think at the incoming NPT fitting on the carb from the Racor.

I think I have isolated it,wrapped paper towel tightly around the fitting and taped it and also did the same to the main passage plug, initially thought it was the main passage plug, but pretty sure now it is the incoming fuel fitting dripping down onto the main passage plug. I will clean up the fitting good and try this stuff. I had used Permatex the first time, but I could have not tightened it up enough prior to attaching the hose.

Does the adjustable main jet use the same washer as the main passage plug???

Will report back when I test this stuff.

Happy sailing!

Elizabeth

1965 Bristol 29
Hull number 84

Tags
fuel fitting sealant