Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rando1201
    • Apr 2020

Is there any reference to a list of things to go over? I took off the carb. Probably want a rebuild kit. I took off the water pump, it's pretty shot. I took off the hoses, they were shot. So that's all pretty basic stuff. Now I'm coming up on installing the walter v drive. Looks like it just bolts right up. But I just went down to the boat, and I'm thinking well heck what if the v drive doesn't line up to the prop shaft. So I guess I'm looking for some advice or threads on steps to take when installing a motor. I dont think it would be an overhaul because I'm not getting into removing the heads. I really just want to fire it up in my garage just to see if it runs. But I dont want to mess anything up either. Any advice on going about a checklist or a I wish I would have did this thread?
    My engine compartment is fairly big, but at the same time I'm trying to do everything I can so I dont wind up twisted like a pretzel working on something I could have done comfortably from my garage.

Comment

• Rando1201
      • Apr 2020

Originally posted by ronstory View Post
      Regarding the nut, it's penetrating oil, time, and a good impact driver.

My story (pun intended ) is that I have a bunch of air tools that could take apart just about anything. However, in my garage it took 5-10 mins or so to power up the compressor (loud), get the hoses out, lube the tools and get ready with an impact socket.

Then I saw this offer from HD on an cordless impact wrench that used all my same Ridgid batteries. After looking at all the reviews, I bought one.

Holy Mother of your preferred deity, IT'S AMAZING!! I say that lightly. I was trying to remove the exact same bolt from an unbolted bearing and housing assembly from my "Puzzle rebuild". I wrapped a rag round it to limit it's movement, grabbed it and put the bigass socket on it...and pressed the trigger. I took almost 10 seconds before it started to move and 5 secs longer... it was off.

It's not often I say that a new tool changed how I use tools... this one has. If you can afford $150, just buy one.

Just my opinionated two cents.
      I wound up grabbing one from harbor freight. The nut came off instantly

Comment

• ronstory
        Afourian MVP
        • Feb 2016

Yes, they are amazing and I love mine. It has allowed me to avoid deploying the dreaded cheater pipe many times. ;^)
        Thanks,
        Ron
        Portland, OR

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

Same..I stood on my breaker bar plus pipe and could not break it loose. It took longer to run the extension cord for the air compressor than it took the impact gun to break it loose (8 years ago before battery powered impacts were common.)
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• Rando1201
            • Apr 2020

ya, it was quite nice. Now I'm working on getting the motor out. problem is i rent a slip at a dock at a house. Id try the boom + chain lift removal but getting it through their side yard wouldn't be manageable> guess where I live its expensive. My best quote is a little under $600 for the removal of the old engine and the new engine to go in.

Comment

• Surcouf
              Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
              • May 2018

Originally posted by Rando1201 View Post
              ya, it was quite nice. Now I'm working on getting the motor out. problem is i rent a slip at a dock at a house. Id try the boom + chain lift removal but getting it through their side yard wouldn't be manageable> guess where I live its expensive. My best quote is a little under $600 for the removal of the old engine and the new engine to go in.
              I moved mine out with boom and the main sheet line, with my father in law. Went OK. We dropped it into one of these marina "plastic cart", then dragged it up the inclined dock to ground level; it was pretty light for the application, but worked OK. If you have to go across a private yard, it is feasible, but you need a solid cart without small wheel. I put in back in with the yard crane 125$, but I was alone in the boat to receive it... Whatever you do, do not use the hook on top of the engine, unless it is a modified / improved one.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Surcouf; 05-28-2020, 06:00 PM.
              Surcouf
              A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)

Comment

• roadnsky
                Afourian MVP
                • Dec 2008

Also (I'm sure you thought of this) stripping it down to it's lowest form will make it MUCH easier to man-handle.
                (Carb, Starter, Alternator, etc)
                -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                sigpic
                1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Rando1201
                  • Apr 2020

I wound up using the yards reverse forklift. $600 bucks to pick the engine out and drop the new one in.

Comment

Working...
                  X