• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim Bates
    • Feb 2013

Looking For Reputable Early Model A4 Mechanic In Southern Calfornia

Dear Southern California Captains:

In general, with the help of MMI and those of you on the forum, I have rebuilt and replaced everything on top of my engine (and more) but can't get it to start. I have researched it, thought it through, checked all my systems, and done the foregoing several times. There is no reason why it should not start. The resolution is undoubtedly something very simple that I have overlooked.

I am looking for a reputable mechanic in Southern California (it can be anyone from San Diego to Santa Barbara) (though the boat is located in Channel Islands Harbor). I am hoping to find a mechanic that I can pay to come by the boat, analyze the situation and get me started (hopefully in one visit or figure out what my problem is).

So please, send me your suggestions of mechanics that meet the criteria (by name, telephone number and website (if they have one)).

I will post the one that gets it done in The Good Guys.

Thanks

Jim
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

Come on Jim - give us some more info & we'll get you through this.
    1) What happens when you turn the key to start - does the starter turn the engine? If not, get the starter working.
    2) Time for a compression check. Pass? Fail? If it passes..
    3) Give it a shot of starting ether & try to start it. No life? Ignition problem. Roars and dies - fuel problem.
    You can do this - unless you want to send me plane tickets.. (grin).

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

Al, at $100+/hour it might be cheaper to send you plane tickets!

Jim, let's help you thru this. Spark, compression, fuel..that is all it needs...with a little timing to synchronize all that up. No need to pay someone.
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Nov 2008

Spark, fuel, compression, and a choke that closes all the way.
        By any chance did you take the distributor out? It is very easy to reinstall the distributor so terminal #1 fires when #1 cylinder is TDC exhaust rather than TDC compression.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Whippet
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2012

don tips

see Don's newsletter. While unexpected shutdown isnt you -- something in his methodical checklist could give you a clue

Steve
          Etobicoke YC, C&C27
          A4 #204381, 1980

Comment

• thatch
            Afourian MVP
            • Dec 2009

Jim, Check your PM's
            Tom

Comment

• Dave Neptune
              Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
              • Jan 2007

Jim, it has to be something simple that was just overlooked or misunderstood.

I was in CI looking at boats last weekend.

It may be a good idea to offer dinner or Liquid Bread to a member in the area for a "learning diagnosis". I have done a few in the LB/LA Harbor area myself for a bottle. Much cheaper than the mechanics that will want you to put in a diesel.

Check your PM's, thatch knows what he is talking about!!!

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Jim Bates
                • Feb 2013

Top Notch A4 Expert Found At Channel Islands Harbor - MVP Thatch

Well, I found a top notch A4 Expert who happens to have his boat just across the fairway from me in Channel Islands Harbor - MVP Thatch.

Thatch came out to the boat last Saturday morning. He quickly analyzed the engine and made some adjustments. Within the first hour, he had it running. He spent another couple hours tightening it up.

Among other things, it appears the issue was a stuck carb and intermittent fuel (which has been resolved).

Thanks again Thatch!

Also, thanks to the rest of you for your comments above and to Neil and Ken.

Comment

• thatch
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Dec 2009

It was a pleasure working with Jim last Saturday. He has done a considerable amount of excellent work on his A4 and, as he noted, the problem turned out to be a minor carb issue. Like many other marinas, the "professional" mechanics in our area want to pull out our A4s and drop in diesels at a cost of about $10,000.
                  Tom

Comment

Working...
                  X