X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KenzieToo
    • Aug 2015

Cant turn the a-4 flywheel

I have a Pearson 30 with an Atomic 4 vintage 1972. I've been restoring her but the biggest problem is that I cant turn the A-4 flywheel.
    I pulled the head, soaked the cylinders with PB and placed marvel mystery oil in the cylinders.
    For about a week now I have been trying to shock the pistons loose with an oak block and a dead blow hammer. Tried a pipe wrench on the crank too. No movement and the oil doesn't seem to be getting down into the cylinders.
    Gear box is in neutral, No evidence of water in the oil pan.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

If it was just the rings frozen in the bores, there'd be a little motion of the crankshaft due to bearing clearances and possibly ring/piston clearances. What you're doing is good, but may not get you where you want to go. If things don't take a 'turn', you're looking at a removal and teardown. Any chance you can find an engine that at least rotates?

Comment

• edwardc
      Afourian MVP
      • Aug 2009

Kano Kroil works even better than PB Blaster.

You can also try a 50/50 mix of Acetone and Automatic Transmission Fluid on the cylinders. This has been shown to have an even higher penetrating capability than PB Blaster or Kroil:

Bobj49F2 brought it to the Ford Truck Enthusiasts forum, and I'm bringing it to you! Here's what CapnJohn posted over at FordBarn: I'm not going to...

i found this on www.homadetools.com thought very interesting. Homemade Penetrating Oil For All of you Mechanic's and Self doer’s out there. Penetrating Oil - interesting This was in one of the Military Vehicle Club newsletters Here is an interesting finding on Penetrating Oils Recently...
      @(^.^)@ Ed
      1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
      with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• Ajax
        • Jul 2011

What Edwardc says.

Kroil is the bomb. Better than any other penetrant on the market.
        I've never tried the Acetone and ATF method though.

I had a co-worker who was a farmer. They used to buy stuck tractors all the time. They'd soak 'em, and whack 'em every week until they finally broke free. Sometimes it took quite awhile. Patience is the key.

Comment

• Overdraft
          • Mar 2013

Until you tear down the engine, hitting one piston is trying to move all 4. If its frozen this badly you are going to want to tear it down completely anyway. Best chance is to pull the engine and tear down: once the crank is out you can pound on individual pistons. And of course, no guarantee you'll succeed! But its your best chance. The patience prescription probably applies: with block upright put acetone/trans fluid in cylinders and let soak. Then put 2x4 in each one and pound delicately (??). Wait a few days and repeat until patience expires or success bursts forth.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
            Afourian MVP
            • Mar 2010

Remember too that it is pointless to pound on a piston which is at the top of it's stroke or the bottom. The piston cannot move while deadheading against the crank journal. The piston at half stroke offers the only possibility of movement, and that a forlorn one. Best to tear the engine down for the best hope of salvaging the most parts.

Comment

• romantic comedy
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2007

When I was a kid, I had a grease fitting spark plug adapter. I could pump grease in the cylinder and hopefully get it loose. I only used it once when I was about 10, and it worked...

Comment

Working...
              X