Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Aftermarket Kits and Accessories

#1   IP: 69.137.234.85
Old 04-01-2008, 06:48 PM

Cole Hersee/ Moyer Alarm system

Is it possible to have a dual station oil gauge set up using the alarm system as modified by Don? I would like one oil pressure gauge in the cockpit and one at the nav station. Any thoughts? Thank you.
  #2   IP: 38.102.16.123
Old 04-04-2008, 04:34 AM

You can't use a regular electric oil pressure sender to send a signal to two gauges. We can special order an ISSPRO sending unit with a dual output, but they're quite expensive (I believe more than twice the price of a single output). If you want to pursue such a sender, give me a call at (410) 810-8920 and I'll get you a price and availability.

Don
  #3   IP: 205.188.116.145
Old 05-01-2008, 10:33 PM

Dual station oil gauge

"dual station oil gauge set up"

What about the simple solution of a T conection with the oil pressure sender on one arm of the T and the [ressure warning switch on the other?

I have seen such a set up somewhere in my A4 surffing. I was planning to build that setup this summer. Is that a bad idea?

Charles Akins
  #4   IP: 38.102.16.123
Old 05-02-2008, 08:38 AM

Charles,

You're probably referring to the configuration of our temperature and oil pressure warning kit.

You could, of course, install two oil pressure sending units on such a "T" if you wished to install two separate oil pressure gauges on your boat, but if you then wanted to also have an oil pressure warning system, you'd have to add yet another "T" which would extend the 1/8" plumbing too far away from the engine for safety. If you wanted to construct such a "manifold" you're better off to mount it on a nearby bulkhead and connect it to the pressure port on the engine using a Coast Guard approved rubber hose.

Don
  #5   IP: 74.110.89.228
Old 04-03-2010, 06:03 PM

Sending unit gauge/alarm

VDO makes sending units for oil pressure and coolant temperature which have two prongs on them. One for the gauge and one for an alarm. The alarm prong is a switch that either makes or breaks (depending on type) a separate circuit from the gauge when a set pressure or temperature is reached. As far as I know they are the only company that makes such a sending unit and they are only about $26. They also have sending units with 2 prongs for two separate gauges (what the original poster was looking for), but not any for dual station and warning prong as far as I know. I have the oil pressure gauge/warning unit and it seems to work well. I'm not sure if it would work with a gauge by a different company though. The VDO gauge is also $26. I bought mine at www.egauges.com. Just call and ask about if you can't find it on their website. I would think you could get it anywhere that VDO gauges are sold though.

Initially, I bought the coolant temperature sender/warning and gauge too, but returned it because the gauge was too hard to read in the range I am interested in.

Qben Oliver