Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Interest

#1   IP: 108.197.8.248
Old 01-10-2019, 06:01 PM

Unhappy New Carburator and powder coating

I just want to praise you for listening to my problem, then offering a simple, {but not obvious to me}, solution. After installing my new carb and electric fuel pump, engine fired up right away!!!! And runs great. But my throttle lever at the helm is down at a 90 degree angle( at idle). By suggesting pulling the shaft from my original carb, I should be able to have the starting point back to vertical.......No.....it's moving in the wrong direction... you can see how trying to descibe something to another can make us both confused.
I will look at the old carb.... to see how they are different from one another. Ultimately I think that the cable will need to be located below the shaft in order to reverse the direction.....
More fun though was our conversation on powder coating.....it started with my question about my cylinder head.... and me describing my experiences coating old aluminum trim pieces of an antique Glasspar runabout. The oven size is the limiting factor. One business model is coating wheels. I have found powder coating to be easier and more durable than paint..... which lead me to ask Don about his opinion on doing the cylinder head on our Atomic bombs.
For now I am going to do the spark arrestor. When I pull the cylinder head(to replace the bolts), I may a buy used stove to do the head...
  #2   IP: 72.69.36.126
Old 01-11-2019, 05:41 AM
Afourian MVP

Power coat the spark arrestor? Mine isn't even painted, and it looks great.
  #3   IP: 137.200.32.54
Old 01-11-2019, 08:21 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,026 Times in 721 Posts
Is your carb a Moyer carb and is there something unusual about the setup? Does the throttle cable come from aft of the engine? Can you post a photo?
  #4   IP: 108.197.8.248
Old 01-11-2019, 04:13 PM

Yes, it is from Moyer and linkage was remove and reinstalled with the same cable. nothing was changed concerning the cable. thus my mystery.
  #5   IP: 108.197.8.248
Old 01-11-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenders View Post
Power coat the spark arrestor? Mine isn't even painted, and it looks great.
When powder coating you mask surfaces that need continuity or surface contact(as in spark plugs and gasket surfaces)
  #6   IP: 108.197.8.248
Old 01-11-2019, 04:19 PM

I don't like rust.
  #7   IP: 108.197.8.248
Old 01-11-2019, 04:22 PM

I know the arrestor is not going to rust, but it's small enough for me to bake the finish and observe the results.
  #8   IP: 24.152.132.140
Old 01-12-2019, 09:52 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Edwards View Post
I just want to praise you for listening to my problem, then offering a simple, {but not obvious to me}, solution. After installing my new carb and electric fuel pump, engine fired up right away!!!! And runs great. But my throttle lever at the helm is down at a 90 degree angle( at idle). By suggesting pulling the shaft from my original carb, I should be able to have the starting point back to vertical.......No.....it's moving in the wrong direction...
I will look at the old carb.... to see how they are different from one another. Ultimately I think that the cable will need to be located below the shaft in order to reverse the direction.....
Please provide pictures of the carburetor, specifically of the throttle cable attachment. That should resolve any written description problems. Pictures of the cable connection at the cockpit control would help too.

edit: I also think it would be helpful if we could discuss powder coating separately from the carburetor issue. There are pertinent categories in the Off-Topic section where it would fit nicely.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others

Last edited by ndutton; 01-12-2019 at 11:13 AM.
  #9   IP: 108.197.8.248
Old 01-13-2019, 02:26 PM

I live 3 hours from my boat, so pictures will need to wait. The weather is cold and wet, so I am waiting for a window without the rain. today I will look at the old carburetor to see if the linkage is different.
I looked to see if there was a different set for for the V-drive......no luck....
I will post an update in a week or so. I sure it must be "operator head space", but this was a simple exchange of one for the other carb; except the addition of the electric fuel pump and filter.
My next task is to adjust the transmission. I must admit that it started giving problems after using 10w-30 synthetic oil for three years.
  #10   IP: 137.103.82.194
Old 01-13-2019, 06:04 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,026 Times in 721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Edwards View Post
I live 3 hours from my boat, so pictures will need to wait. The weather is cold and wet, so I am waiting for a window without the rain. today I will look at the old carburetor to see if the linkage is different.
I looked to see if there was a different set for for the V-drive......no luck....
I will post an update in a week or so. I sure it must be "operator head space", but this was a simple exchange of one for the other carb; except the addition of the electric fuel pump and filter.
My next task is to adjust the transmission. I must admit that it started giving problems after using 10w-30 synthetic oil for three years.
Unless it was synthetic oil specifically designed for wet clutches, i.e motorcycles, it is doing one hell of a job making things slippery in the transmission that won't work when slippery
  #11   IP: 108.197.8.248
Old 01-14-2019, 09:44 PM

On the carburetor throttle,
I looked at the old one, and it does have a lever braised onto lower portion.
As per Don M. I pulled the throttle lever from the old carb. I will clean the rust off of it, powder coat it, then install it in the new carburetor. Then, my throttle lever will work fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Edwards For This Useful Post:
Administrator (01-15-2019)
  #12   IP: 108.197.8.248
Old 01-20-2019, 06:41 PM

I was able to remove the throttle lever easily{the brass screws heads stripped), then install the one from the old carb(with the braised on lower extension
  #13   IP: 108.197.8.248
Old 01-20-2019, 06:54 PM

I was able to remove the throttle lever easily{the brass screws heads stripped), then install the one from the old carb(with the braised on lower extension) using the steel screws from the old carb. After reinstalling, the engine fired right up and without adjusting it idles at my preferred RPM. The throttle now operates as it used to!!!! I am going to assume that Ericsson made the modification when the boat was built in 1978; so as not to need a long loop in the cable to make the connection from the front of the engine.
Again, I am grateful to Don Moyer and this forum for the advise and patience with my description. On to the next project on my 'fiberglass hole in the water into which I throw $$.