X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Golfdad75
    • Sep 2014

Damaged Core

I have a Columbia which had come cracks in the deck. I cut out the deck dug out the rotted balsa and replaced with marine plywood. Don Casey's book is a must. One word of thought, I have done 1 from the bottom and 3 from the top. Top is easier by far. Say hello to West systems, also get the adhesive filler and the fairing filler.
    As far as the engine is concerned good luck. These people on here are great at diagnosing and helping.

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Tac, every manufacturer I worked for dating back to the very early 1970's had plywood core at hardware locations to withstand the crush of fastener tightening, deck stepped mast location too. When repairing punky decks I'd recommend the same.

With your first hand confirmation I'll repeat, shame on Pearson. If the rest of us could figure it out, why couldn't they? The condition of rockhopper's stanchions (and others I'm sure) is a direct result of their practice.

This is really disappointing. I thought better of Pearson.
      Last edited by ndutton; 05-23-2017, 09:18 AM.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• rockhopper
        • May 2017

Well obviously I didn't do enough work when I was down at my boat, the yard master said it's not ready to remove yet. There are bolts still in the foundation, the shaft is not uncoupled, and the rest of the cabinet needs to be removed or at least the alternator. I'm pretty sure the foundation bolt just needs to be pulled out, as I removed all 4 nuts. So being 4 hours away looks like I may have to just bite the bullet and let the yard pull the rest off and pull the engine as they are open randomly on Saturday. Then I can get it home and access the damage.

I need to investigate the blower as well, when I tried to turn the blower on I didn't hear anything so that is concerning as well.
        Chris
        1973 Pearson 30 #411
        Trinity, North Carolina

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

If I may be so bold as to ask

What are your plans with this boat? Basic but seaworthy? Barely functional? A classic showpiece? And also if I may, any idea of time investment and budget?
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California

Comment

• rockhopper
            • May 2017

The plan was to get the engine going and back on the water ASAP so as to enjoy it this summer. Then come winter time I figured I could start working on getting the balsa core replaced. So I just kind of wanted a basic but seaworthy vessel that the family could enjoy. Time investment and budget...well I would hope doing everything myself I could keep things relatively inexpensive working on it on the weekends. I just hope I didn't waste $2500 of my family's savings.
            Chris
            1973 Pearson 30 #411
            Trinity, North Carolina

Comment

• tenders
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2007

- I'm quite sanguine on your eventual triumph with this engine. It's a boat engine, not a lawnmower engine, lots of these have gotten wet before, looking a lot worse than yours, and if you're getting sounds of starter engagement that seems like a positive sign to me.

- Your four-hour commute to the boat is going to be a big hindrance to getting this up and running, though, and boats, once they're operational, are an infinitely deep pile of 2-hour projects. (Your wife will at some point note that many of those 2-hour projects seem to stick together, a bit like Chex cereal, forming projects that look suspiciously like 4-, 8-, and 12-hour events. But she is wrong.) Where are you located and what's the plan for the eventual boat location?

- FWIW my '69 Ericson also has balsa underneath the stanchions. At this point virtually any boat of these vintages is going to have experienced stanchion leaks and mushy core no matter what organic core material was used. It is unlikely, though, that your boat will have that other scourge, hull blisters or "hull pox." I'll take a core repair over a blister repair any day.

Perhaps you've seen this recent discussion:

Comment

• Ken Rockwell
                • May 2017

So I guess I'm alone an the cut and run theory. Alright just make sure you send some pictures of the transmission.

Comment

• tenders
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2007

The thing that makes me think rainwater rather than sinking is the striations in the rust pattern on the flywheel color. That suggests water accumulating in bursts over time more than a single flooding event. And that suggests rain (or snow) incursion. I don't see any signs of salt, either, and the OP didn't mention it, again suggesting either rain or, if a sinking, in freshwater instead of seawater.

Comment

• ndutton
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by Ken Rockwell View Post
                    So I guess I'm alone an the cut and run theory. Alright just make sure you send some pictures of the transmission.
                    Not necessarily Ken. Your assessment to give up early may turn out to be what rock decides but as for the engine we are suggesting to give it an honest look first. One of our members bought his boat with a seized engine. Instead of packing it in early he pulled the head, smacked the pistons with a hammer on a wood block and enjoyed decades of reliable operation without any more significant repairs.

All we are suggesting is make a few easy tests before drawing a conclusion.
                    Last edited by ndutton; 05-23-2017, 08:54 PM.
                    Neil
                    1977 Catalina 30
                    San Pedro, California

Comment

• Ken Rockwell
                      • May 2017

Ok I'll play along, did the flywheel have the same perfectly level line of rust?

Comment

• romantic comedy
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2007

Ken, might you have an outboard around?

Keep checking the engine and maybe get it going. But you might be better off bolting an outboard to the old girl. I hate to say this since I love this engine.

You are in the realm of having a 2500 dollar sailboat that you want to sail cheaply. Do you have sailing experience? Is this your first foray into sailing. This topic comes up frequently on FB but not here.

I would recommend to get on the water as cheaply (and safely) as possible. I have seen quite a few inboard boats with egg beaters bolted on the back. Have a fun summer then decide what you want to do.

A 2500 dollar boat is basically a free boat. To get it sea worthy and in good sailing condition may take more then twice what you paid for the boat. Possibly that is a worth while investment. Maybe not.

My Tartan 34 is hauled at a yard where 2500 dollar boats are the norm. The owners of these boats have very little money for upkeep and repair. They had the 2 to 5 thousand for the boat and that was it. There was no money for sails, engine repair etc...

I often see guys wanting advice about a free boat they are considering. most times a free boat is the most expensive boat. Most of us spend more the 2500 a year on dockage and hauling.

I hope this did not sound harsh or judgemental.

Comment

• sdemore
                          • Nov 2016

FWIW, I'm doing the same thing. I picked up a "free" boat and an rebuilding it myself. The goal is to see how cheaply it can be done, with the realistic view that you have to have a pot of expendable money to do those things that just have to be done.
                          Steve Demore
                          S/V Doin' It Right
                          Pasadena, MD
                          sigpic

Comment

• rockhopper
                            • May 2017

I can't honestly remember seeing the water line on the flywheel. I remember seeing some rust by the bottom teeth and thinking this isn't good. That was one picture I didn't think to snap. I am just going to have the yard pull the engine, I don't feel comfortable hooking 300 lbs onto the boom and praying that nothing breaks. Hopefully they'll get it pulled and I'll be picking it up this weekend.

Here is another shot I got of the alternator, looks like a jack leg played with it. You can see another broken/rusted into hose clamp here.

I got off into sailing last year, picked up a Hobie 16 after taking some sailing lessons. So I'm still fairly new to it and am still learning.
                            Attached Files
                            Chris
                            1973 Pearson 30 #411
                            Trinity, North Carolina

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                              Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by romantic comedy View Post
                              Ken, might you have an outboard around?
                              Keep checking the engine and maybe get it going. But you might be better off bolting an outboard to the old girl. I hate to say this since I love this engine.
                              You are in the realm of having a 2500 dollar sailboat that you want to sail cheaply. Do you have sailing experience? Is this your first foray into sailing. This topic comes up frequently on FB but not here.
                              I would recommend to get on the water as cheaply (and safely) as possible. I have seen quite a few inboard boats with egg beaters bolted on the back. Have a fun summer then decide what you want to do.
                              A 2500 dollar boat is basically a free boat. To get it sea worthy and in good sailing condition may take more then twice what you paid for the boat. Possibly that is a worth while investment. Maybe not.
                              My Tartan 34 is hauled at a yard where 2500 dollar boats are the norm. The owners of these boats have very little money for upkeep and repair. They had the 2 to 5 thousand for the boat and that was it. There was no money for sails, engine repair etc...
                              I often see guys wanting advice about a free boat they are considering. most times a free boat is the most expensive boat. Most of us spend more the 2500 a year on dockage and hauling.
                              I hope this did not sound harsh or judgemental.
                              There is a lot of wisdom in the above quote.
                              Do you want to spend the summer, the prime sailing time in most places, and go sailing now?
                              Pull the engine now and go sailing. You can work on the engine at your leisure or during the winter.
                              A couple of thoughts:
                              Projects like this often take on a life of their own and rarely go as planned.
                              You will never see the money you put into the engine\boat again. Often referred to as a sunk cost. At our level boats are a hobby, not a business.
                              A BOAT IS A HOLE IN THE WATER INTO WHICH ONE POURS MONEY

TRUE GRIT
                              Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 05-24-2017, 12:04 PM.

Comment

• rockhopper
                                • May 2017

Just got the engine home a while ago and tore into the transmission. The oil in here appears to be a milk chocolate color but nothing inside the transmission appears to be rusted. Drained the oil and found there was some chunky white crap in the oil.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by rockhopper; 05-28-2017, 10:07 PM.
                                Chris
                                1973 Pearson 30 #411
                                Trinity, North Carolina

Comment

Working...
                                X