• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JOHN COOKSON
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Sailrite View Post
    So the engine is out. I tried to remove the head. I tried the wooden shims, PB blaster, heat , tapping with a hammer, still not budging. I'm going to try the welding the nut on the stud next. Unless someone has some other tricks.
    Thanks
    If you can still turn the engine with the engine with the starter put the plugs back in and see if you can get the compression to break the head loose.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Sailrite
      • Sep 2015

The head lifts up about an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch. Then stops. I can't get it past the studs.

Comment

• Sailrite
        • Sep 2015

I got the head off. I had to cut one of the bolts off. I cut it off between the head and the block. It was rusted into the head. The others I removed with the welding a nut on the stud trick.
        On to the next problem

Comment

• Sailrite
          • Sep 2015

Just some pictures to remember the fun times of removing my A-4.

I do have a question. I'm cleaning up the engine compartment. I'm getting new vent hoses. the old hoses were very close together in the bottom of the engine compartment. Should I put them back in that position or is there a better placement? I figure the exaust hose should be as low as it can be.
          Attached Files

Comment

• hanleyclifford
            Afourian MVP
            • Mar 2010

I see you have 2 hoses showing. Are they both extraction or is one an intake? I have only one, mounted as low as possible near the carburetor. I also have louvered vents in the cockpit to introduce fresh air.

Comment

• Sailrite
              • Sep 2015

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
              I see you have 2 hoses showing. Are they both extraction or is one an intake? I have only one, mounted as low as possible near the carburetor. I also have louvered vents in the cockpit to introduce fresh air.
              One is an intake one is extraction. They were placed very close. I was wondering if the extraction hose was just sucking from the intake.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Sailrite View Post
                One is an intake one is extraction. They were placed very close. I was wondering if the extraction hose was just sucking from the intake.
                That would be a good bet. My experience is that sailboats have no trouble getting air in due to the foiling effect of air running around the dog house and spilling into the companionway. Best to focus on extraction, the lower the better.

Comment

• Sailrite
                  • Sep 2015

So I've finally have my boat ready to launch but with out my Atomic 4 in it. (I have a outboard on now). Im still trying to find a machine shop in the Baltimore Annapolis area. One place told me not to take it anywhere but Moyer Marine. I really don't want to spend $6000.00 for a rebuilt engine if I can freshen mine up. any suggestions?

History of engine
                  Spent most of its life in lake Erie
                  Now lives in Annapolis.
                  Four summers ago it over heated , the impeller broke. It sat for a couple of months but it always turned over. I could never get it started. I finally took it out last fall.

Thanks

Comment

• romantic comedy
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2007

My guess is that you could drive the engine to MMI and get as assessment as to what needs to be done and what you can do yourself.

If I still lived in Annapolis, that is exactly what I would do with my disassembled engine. (and I have rebuilt many engines)

Comment

• joe_db
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

Large extensive Volvo Penta diesel inventory of new and used parts. Auxiliary diesel, saildrive, inboard gears. 3 and 4 liter engines. Also extensive parts for the Universal Atomic Four engines.

They are - or were - the only local place I would trust with an Atomic 4. They do good work, but they are not a bargain basement operation.

This will cost you $2400 and you can do the work from there. my luck with random automotive engine shops was mixed at best. One of them specifically said no more A4 work!
                      Joe Della Barba
                      Coquina
                      C&C 35 MK I
                      Maryland USA

Comment

• Tim
                        • Jul 2005

If you can't find anyone locally and don't mind a few hours of driving, Apples Machine in Newport News, VA has a lot of experience with A-4's.

Pearson 10M
                        Gloucester, Va

Comment

• Sailrite
                          • Sep 2015

$575.00 sounds much better then $2400.00 but the drive is a little far. Although it might be worth it.
                          Has anyone gone to Moyer and had them tell you what needs to be done?

Thanks

Comment

• joe_db
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

Some Google-Fu for you:
                            JBs Auto Machine | Engine machining & rebuilding services in Baltimore, MD since 1977. Family-owned, specializing in stock, antique, industrial, marine, restoration, & high-performance engines.

Oooops, looks like the page you requested could not be found. Please check the URL for proper spelling and capitalization.

I know NOTHING about any of them except they came up on the following search:
                            antique engine machine shop Annapolis marine
                            IMHO shops that deal with antique marine engines are far more likely to have a clue about fixing an A4 than a shop that only does cars. YMMV and IMHO.
                            BTW - did you get the Moyer rebuild manual? That would be money very well spent for this project.

Also:
                            Last edited by joe_db; 09-29-2016, 11:49 AM.
                            Joe Della Barba
                            Coquina
                            C&C 35 MK I
                            Maryland USA

Comment

• Sailrite
                              • Sep 2015

Thanks
                              Ellison is the shop that told me to go to Moyer.

I'll check the others.

Comment

Working...
                              X