Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 69.255.38.166
Old 08-05-2012, 10:12 PM

Troubleshooting engine shut down issue

History:
We bought a 1974 C&C 30 foot MK1 with an Atomic 4 about 2 months ago. It's in good sailing condition but the PO didn't need to motor longer than 200 or 300 yards before putting up his sails so he didn't do much more than required upkeep of it. Just to note, I'm very inexperienced with engines but I'm trying to learn as much as I can as fast as I can.

During the Survey the Engine died and would not start back up, we foolishly had got distracted and left the choke out for about 30 minutes and just figured we flooded the engine. We talked to the PO about it and found out that the gas in the tank was probably around 2 years old. So we thought that between the old gas and mistakenly leaving the choke on for 30 minutes that the stall out wasn't a big problem.

After the boat purchase I drained all the gas from the tank and filled it with 10 gallons of fresh gas. After that I changed the Sierra fuel filter. We then took the boat out for 2 short trips. On those trips the engine was stalling out if we didn't give it choke the whole time. However, the engine ran better toward then end of the second trip so we assumed that the bad gas from before had worked itself out of the system.

Then we needed to sail the boat from it's previous location to the slip that we had set up. On that trip the engine ran great overall. Over a 10 hour trip we motored for at least 4 hours and it only stalled once but started back up right away.

Since it's been back in it's home location things have gotten worse. We got caught in a bad storm on the first trip and the engine died in 6 foot seas and wouldn't start back up. I assumed that all the boat heaving had flooded the engine, after the storm we sailed it back to a temporary slip. The next day it started and ran fine for us to get back to our slip.

The next 4 trips the motor has died multiple times, usually after about 10 minutes. You can hear the engine start to loose power, then within about 10 seconds it dies. One time I got it started back up with spray starter fluid and by tapping the carb but the other times I've had to wait anywhere from 30 minutes to the next day.

Current Situation:
After today's 2 stall outs I assumed that the Carb was dirty or a jet was clogged so I removed the carb to clean it. I removed the Main Passage plug and the scavenge tube to drain the carb but less than a teaspoon of gas came out. The inside of the carb was bone dry. That made me think that it wasn't the Carb after all. I checked the wire that goes from the oil pressure safety switch to the fuel pump an noticed that I was able to pull it off it's termination without much effort. Here's a picture of that termination.

What is the blue cable that's on that same termination for? I included a picture of where that cable runs too.

Could this be just a loose termination problem?
Could the fuel pump be bad?
What are some other things I should check for? \

I just got the manual from Moyer Marine and downloaded the video, so I'm going to clean the carb and see if that helps the problem. I just want to know if there's other ways I should be troubleshooting.

Thanks for your help, reading this forum has really helped me out so far in my struggle to understand how to get this engine working.
Attached Images

#2   IP: 206.125.176.5
Old 08-06-2012, 09:23 AM
Afourian MVP

Hi cferg,

Welcome to the forum.

Intermittent and random shutdowns, as I am sure you are aware, are hard to diagnose.

First, I would make sure that all electrical connections are sound. Never trust a P.O.'s work, and if a connection is loose or corroded, fix it. Sometimes, a short develops during use..a connection is corroded or loose, and as the wire heats up from the current running thru it, a short develops and the circuit fails..after cooling down, the short goes away, long enough to restart the engine for 5 seconds, 5 minutes, or maybe 5 hours.

Since you suspect the OPSS & its connections, when it shuts down again, I would use a jumper wire to bypass the OPSS (i.e. wire the fuel pump directly to the ignition switch so it is running when the switch is turned on) and see if I could get it to start again.

Dissecting stuff the P.O. did is always frustrating..pictures are great, so we'll help you through it. When you are ready to tackle the job, I might recommend a full engine electrical circuit overall, so that all the connections are new, wires new, circuit runs known by you, etc..it took me 4 years to get comfortable enough to do that on my boat.

Where does that yellow wire w/ fuse holder go? It is tapped into the alternator output?!? It looks to me that it is possible the blue wire is connected to the starter..possibly to provide power to the fuel pump during cranking..some starters have a terminal that is hot (+12v) ONLY when cranking.

edit - Based on what I see, there is a lot of 'handiwork' that may need to be remedied. The P.O. of my boat had all kinds of electrical 'band-aids' everywhere.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif

Last edited by sastanley; 08-06-2012 at 09:30 AM.
  #3   IP: 76.180.1.249
Old 08-06-2012, 11:07 AM

i have a c&c 30 also -- fab boat

welcome to the forum

if u read my recent posts, you will see that i had a very similar problem. it was fuel contamination. i think once u get it, you can clean your carb, change filters for ever, and you'll just gunk them up again.

how old is your tank? what's it made of? mine seems to be aluminum and i'm wondering if yours is also. on mine, i think i can remove the plate where the fuel gauge sender wire goes in and then try to suck out the gunk. i don't know if that will help. likely not...but luckily in our boat it looks like the tank will come out easily and then it can be steam cleaned or replaced with a plastic one for about $150.

meanwhile. the best way to diagnose and see if i'm correct is to hook up a clean [preferably new] outboard tank with all fresh fuel. make sure your carb and filters and lines are clean before you do. if it runs well, like mine does now, then that was your problem.

fyi -- these a4's are very durable and will take a lot of abuse. if it's not tuned up perfectly, etc., it will still run. the weak side is the fuel system. it was not designed to run today's gas. so you cannot have any leaks or contamination re. the fuel or it will not run. or worse, it will run long enough to strand you where you don't want to be.

let me know what happens.
  #4   IP: 24.152.131.155
Old 08-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
The bigger picture

For those with bona fide fuel contamination problems, once you chase it down and clean it up remember it came from somewhere in the first place. There are really only two possible mechanisms:
  • Contaminants allowed to enter the tank
  • Deterioration of fuel hose
Contaminants allowed entry
These can come from a variety of sources: deteriorated O-ring seal on the fuel fill plate, pumping in already contaminated fuel, perhaps even incursion through the tank vent (rare in my opinion). There's not much point in cleaning things up and then putting more contamination in the tank.

Deterioration of fuel hose
The common scenario here is ethanol use in old non-ethanol rated hose. Same advisement as above, why clean the contamination only to have it continue? All our fuel hoses should be rated for alcohol.

It's popular to blame ethanol as a contaminant itself or as causing the contamination. Admittedly, it has some properties that aggravate existing conditions:
Crud in the tank
Previously inert crud in the tank is now rendered 'ert' by the dissolving action of the ethanol returning it to the mix. Remember though, the crud was there to start with and came from somewhere outside the tank.
Fuel hose deterioration
See above. No need to repeat.
Moisture absorption
I cannot speak from any experience here so I won't try. In my local climate it's not a problem but I can't say for others. I will offer this - my Dad worked in the aircraft industry his entire life and I remember him saying planes are always stored with the fuel tanks full. Less air space means less humid air and less moisture. This was before the blended fuels we enjoy today. He said also that due to moisture present in the fuel from storage tanks, trucks and infrastructure fuel delivery systems it was possible to draw off a cup or two of pure water from the bottom of a plane's tanks.
Dissolved fiberglass tanks
Common in power boats with fiberglass tanks, virtually non-existent in sailboats.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
  #5   IP: 76.180.1.249
Old 08-06-2012, 12:17 PM

good article, but it does not mention a major problem in 30+ yr old sailboats:

per jeff, the local west marine engine guru....the tank itself begins to deteriorate -- or at least the lining does, likely from the ethanol -- he says not just in steel, but aluminum -- even plastic! he told me that even 2 yr old plastic tanks are vulnerable and they had to junk all the ones in inventory. [apparently, current plastic tanks are more resistant]

when i bought my boat in 2007, the state sticker on it was from 2002. meaning it sat with a partially full tank for at least 5 yrs! and also....because the pick up tube stops an inch or 2 above the bottom, the concentration of water and gunk can only increase over time since water is heavier than gas and always goes to the bottom.

[i flew gasoline powered aircraft for quite a while, and they all have quick drains on the bottom of every tank, which you must drain before every flight -- or at least after every fill up!]

and once that concentration goes to a certain level, things can only get worse. adding fuel to dilute it or products like e-z sorb -- as i did last week -- only insure that you'll move junk into your carb or dirty your filters. so as others advised me, eventually the tank has to come out to be rehabbed or replaced.
  #6   IP: 65.95.196.168
Old 08-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Afourian MVP

This is a shill for the new improved "Stabil" fuel additive but it does contain some useful information about the effects of ethanol blended fuels on marine fuel systems;

http://www.goldeagle.com/UserFiles/f...the%20Ugly.pdf

And here is Mercury Marine's view;

http://www.ejmertaughboatworks.com/ethanol.pdf

Last edited by 67c&ccorv; 08-06-2012 at 12:33 PM.
  #7   IP: 24.152.131.155
Old 08-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithems View Post
per jeff, the local west marine engine guru....the tank itself begins to deteriorate -- or at least the lining does, likely from the ethanol -- he says not just in steel, but aluminum -- even plastic!
Lining?? Forgive my ignorance but what lining??

Dating back to 1971 I've been involved in the purchase, installation, construction, design and modification of fuel tanks made of steel, aluminum and fiberglass in one way or another and not a single one had a lining of any sort. For metallic tanks, wouldn't welding fittings and seams destroy a lining?

For my own education I'd like to know where Jeff got this information.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:12 PM
sastanley
This message has been deleted by sastanley. Reason: bad taste..sometimes I should pause before hitting "Submit"
  #8   IP: 76.180.1.249
Old 08-06-2012, 01:23 PM

well i've never been involved, so the reference to lining may be my stupidity.

maybe there's a coating in some tanks?

i dunno -- i just know -- now from experience that very little lasts forever and if u purchase a 30+ year boat for a song, as i did, you should be prepared to replace a lot of things...let's see....in my case it's been sails, motor, interior, stuffing box & hose, cutlass, windex, mast wiring, etc., etc. -- and now the tank.

again, in the c&c 30 pulling the tank is not so bad.....and it's better to spend 150 than constantly rebuild the carb, change filters, blow out the lines, and call towboat u.s.

and overall....not really all that bad -- 30,000 boat for 1800...with good rigging, mast, hull & deck,winches [2 self tailing, geared, 2 geared], and roller furling.

so it goes....

oh -- and re. the stabil and other formulations... they may prevent problems if you're starting with a clean tank and fresh fuel, but they don't undo years of crud accumulation.

the good news.....because the junk and water tend to sink to the bottom, and i don't think i had true phase separation, i was able to pour off most of the clean but water diluted [cloudy] fuel on the top and burn it in my dodge caravan.
  #9   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 08-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Afourian MVP

Smile

HI Guys,

I will relay what little I know of this stuff and I know most already are aware of it. I don`t have to deal with ethanol YET and hope I never do. What knowledge I have has come from this forum and a few other reads....nothing spectacular.

Over time gas can leave a deposit on the inner aspect of a gas tank, especially if sitting for a period of time. Typically, this didn't pose a problem as the gas being poured in the tank was the same chemical make-up for years.

With the introduction of Ethanol some problems began to surface. Ethanol apparently breaks down the "lining" or "coating" of crud. This results in deposits afloat in the gas and drawn downstream by the pump. Filters help, however some inevitably gets past the filters, and ends up in the carb. This may caused recurrent problems.

There is also the issue of Ethenol breaking down rubber hoses. Newer hoses have been developed not to break down with exposure to ethanol, however, even the fill hose on older boats can present a problem and cause a problem of dirt in gas.

This doesn't address the issue of old gas /bad gas....that just simply needs to be replace and the tank cleaned. In the case of crud via ethanol reaction....the tank should be cleaned and all rubber hoses replaced with new versions resistant to ethanol.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.
  #10   IP: 24.152.131.155
Old 08-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Afourian MVP

Why didn't cars have these problems?
  #11   IP: 76.180.1.249
Old 08-06-2012, 04:18 PM

just speculating -- i'm NOT an expert....

1. auto motors are designed to run on ethanol -- tanks may be designed for it also

2. autos have electronic fuel injection which can adjust and tune mixture to optimal

3. the a4 does much better if your marine fuel is e-10 free; i don't think that is available around here -- meaning most marine fuel is really auto fuel

4. i'm not driving a 1976 auto whose motor and fuel system was designed in 1950 or earlier.

5. the fuel in my tank is always fresh -- i refill it at least weekly

5a. my car never sits unused for half the year

6. most car fuel tanks sit on the bottom of the vehicle and are exposed to slush and salt, etc., and tend to rust out at least every 10 years-- i suspect the e-10 helps insure that
  #12   IP: 76.180.1.249
Old 08-06-2012, 04:28 PM

actually, i didn't have major fuel / tank issues before my a 4 broke her cam last summer. because i knew it would be a while to r, r, and r it, i ran my outboard off the remaining fuel in the tank and left it dry for the winter. -- or so i thought -- in reality i left 2" of concentrated water and gunk in the tank

then this summer once the a4 was back in, i poured a few gallons of auto fuel in to get started -- didn't want to fill it in case i had to pull it -- and i think it was evening after the marina pumps were closed. that's when the fun began.

so if i had been continually using the tank and had left it full and added stabil for the winter, i may have been ok. or not...seeing as the gunk / water concentration is always increasing and acting on the tank surface.

i do think that if you start with a clean or new tank and fresh fuel and use stabil or other additives, things will be ok.
  #13   IP: 24.152.131.155
Old 08-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Afourian MVP

But at the time of transition there were many autos with older technology and even a few still around with carburetors. I don't remember hearing a peep about these sorts of problems.

My ancient Briggs and Stratton powered lawn mower has no problems and it sits for prolonged periods. My 25HP carbureted Yamaha outboard sits for months with no problems either. My 1979 Honda 750 - same thing.

This raises one of my favorite questions: why some and not others?
  #14   IP: 76.180.1.249
Old 08-06-2012, 05:28 PM

that's always true -- some and not others...

we've all known or heard of smokers living to 90 with no health problems -- but it's a matter of percentages

i had lots of problems running my lawnmowers in the late 90's and early 2000's -- till i got smart -- now i rent an apt and let the landlord cut the grass so i can go boating!

plus u live in california where i think they always had to engineer motors to more exacting requirements.

like i said, i had problems when i first got this boat, but they cleared up and everything was ok till i let the tank sit empty for a year. and my fellow c&c 30 owner who started this thread also is dealing with a situation of long non use with gunk buildup.

also...may help to stick to marine fuel -- the boatyard where i store and service my boat claims their fuel has no ethanol -- which i doubt, frankly, having seen the truck deliver it, and the marina i berth at does add valvect to their fuel, which is supposed to prevent problems and likely does if you don't have them to begin with.

i wonder if i started things off by using auto fuel this year to get started?

anyhoo, the die is cast, and now that i'm using the outboard tank, a4 is running well, and when i have the chance i will pump out my ship's tank if possible or r& r it if necessary. sure beats going out on the a4 5 times in an evening and returning 5 times on the johnson 9.9.
  #15   IP: 76.197.226.125
Old 08-06-2012, 05:41 PM

I had all kinds of problems with my tank over the last two years and I buy most of my gas at my local marina with Valvetech added, Currently $5.25/gal. I don't think that additives make much of a difference for most problems, of course excluding MMO.
  #16   IP: 65.119.126.3
Old 08-06-2012, 05:42 PM

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Next weekend I'm going to try put a jumper to the fuel pump to pump a gallon or two of gas into a clear plastic jug. I'll see if that gas is clean or not. If it's not, I'll go the new gas tank and hoses route.

Does dirty gas explain why there was no gas in the carb after my previous stall out?

I'm going to clean the carb tonight and see if the jets are clogged.
  #17   IP: 68.56.139.11
Old 08-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Afourian MVP

For me, i put a new tank in, in 15 years ago. I have had no fuel problems, except maybe a little dirt.

I also drive a 1967 VW and have no problems with the fuel system. I keep the filters new, and that is about it.
  #18   IP: 71.252.8.106
Old 08-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Afourian MVP

cferg, just tonight, the boat that I race on Wednesday nights, the owner is down working on the (nearly new) Mercury 5HP 4-stroke. Pull, pull, pull...won't run. Even though it is a 4-stroke there is a little fuel sheen on the water so we assume it is getting fuel..New plug..still won't run...took the carb apart and the float was stuck closed. The engine has been in his garage in storage for about 6 weeks. I think it laying horizontal (in the correct orientation for a 4-stroke) allowed the damn ethanol to gum up the float valve.

I found a piece of teflon tape in my float bowl on my A4 years ago..learned my lesson there and removed all the teflon & went to Permatex on the threads.

The point is, you gotta check everything.
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)

Last edited by sastanley; 08-06-2012 at 10:43 PM.
  #19   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 08-06-2012, 11:32 PM
Afourian MVP

Smile

Hi Neil,
Here's my thinking on it. I think the cars don't have the same issues because of the volume of gasoline that typically is used in cars. Generally I go through a tank a week in the vehicles. I've put 20 gallons in the boat since March. An inherent part of sailing is that the engine is not the main source of propulsion so the gas does sit in the tank for longer periods of time.

Most vehicles now have pressurized fuel injection as well. Even if there was some sludge debris it could possibly be disintegrated by the pressure. Every now and then we hear of a sticking injector that is cleaned out with an additive. I think if cars were still using relatively low pressure pumps and carbs the mechanics would be busy.

That make any sense?

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#20   IP: 24.152.131.155
Old 08-06-2012, 11:42 PM
Afourian MVP

I'm sorry Keith but we're at opposite ends of this.
Quote:
. . . u live in california where i think they always had to engineer motors to more exacting requirements.
Nothing different about my A-4 than anyone else's and I bought my Zodiac w/ Yamaha outboard from an Alaska resident.
Quote:
...may help to stick to marine fuel -- i wonder if i started things off by using auto fuel this year to get started?
I always use gas station fuel preferring it over the swill that comes out of the marina's underground low-turnover tanks.

All I was trying to say in my lengthy post earlier is it's my opinion that ethanol doesn't spontaneously create crud, it gets in the tank by other means and will continue to do so unless the incursion is found and remedied.

The ethanol debate strikes me much like political arguments, short on fact and long on conjecture. Fuel problem on the boat? It's all ethanol's fault. Economy - domestic - foreign problems? They're all (fill in name of current or former president)'s fault. It couldn't be anything else, right?

The problem for those who feel ethanol is the root of all fuel system evils is it's here to stay. You'd better find a way to live with it. In my case I'm having zero issues. My fuel lines were replaced 5 years ago, my deck plate O-ring seals tightly, I use only gas station fuel, I have a cheap spin-on Sierra water separating fuel filter (18-7945, same thing on the Yamaha), no polishing filter, I polish my fuel at least once a year, replace the filter once a year, clean and rebuild the carburetor every other year. When I replace the fuel filter I dump the contents into a glass container and let it settle. There's never any water or debris. This routine has worked well for me.

I wish everyone enjoyed the same.
  #21   IP: 76.180.1.249
Old 08-06-2012, 11:46 PM

lots.maurice -- thank you
  #22   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 08-06-2012, 11:52 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
But at the time of transition there were many autos with older technology and even a few still around with carburetors. I don't remember hearing a peep about these sorts of problems.

My ancient Briggs and Stratton powered lawn mower has no problems and it sits for prolonged periods. My 25HP carbureted Yamaha outboard sits for months with no problems either. My 1979 Honda 750 - same thing.

This raises one of my favorite questions: why some and not others?

You do have a point there Neil. My lawn mower started this spring no problem and I don't remember even putting stabil in the gas....yup, you have a point there.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#23   IP: 76.180.1.249
Old 08-07-2012, 12:12 AM

i think the point is...

on our boats you can't normally drain the fuel, so over time the concentration of h20 and gunk increases. -- plus i have read that ethanol will pull h2o out of the air

since i went to the new outboard tank last week, my a4 has been perfect. perfect! starts on about 1 turn, no coughing, has the "explosive" acceleration don m. says it should have. burns about 1 gal / hr.

and has been running on 87 fuel from the nearest gas sta -- with 10% ethanol.

so clearly, the problem is not if the a4 will run well on e-10. it's what e-10 does in the tank over time if not used. and i say -- if any doubt about the fuel in the tank -- get it pumped out completely, cleaned, or replaced.

i don't think neil and i are that far apart, really, on this issue. and our c&c buddy above who started this thread can try whatever he wants for as long as he wants...

however..here's where it will come out -- and he can decide if he wants to sail and enjoy his boat as i do or if he wants to play engineer all summer...

1. squirt stating fluid -- or even gasoline -- into the carb intake...if it starts and begins to run -- you have a fuel problem; if not, ignition or compression

2. connect a clean [outboard] tank with fresh clean fuel to your water separator filter just before the fuel pump. make sure you have a clean water separator filter & polishing filter. drain the carb bowl and sediment bowl and clean the screen on the mechanical fuel pump, if u have one.

if it runs well -- and did not before with fuel from the main tank -- you have fuel contamination in your main tank.

clean or replace it. enjoy life. use the outboard tank until you get around to dealing with the ship's tank. write and tell keithems he was right for once.
  #24   IP: 198.228.200.143
Old 08-07-2012, 02:12 PM

I took the carb apart last night, everything seemed clean. I replaced the needle valve and cleaned the main jet.

It'll be interesting to see if there's crud in the gas when I rig it to pump a gallon or so out this weekend. If there is, I'm definitely going the new tank and all new lines route. I'd just have to decide if it's worth spending money on a temp fix or if I should just bite the bullet and replace the tank and fuel lines for good.

Are there some ways to tell if your fuel pump is going bad?
  #25   IP: 206.125.176.5
Old 08-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Afourian MVP

Thumbs up

cferg...the best way is to put in a fuel pressure gauge...a favorite around here is "Mr. Gasket" brand..it is about $15 plus a couple of brass fittings to 'tee' it into the fuel line. This will give you an instant reading of fuel delivery which should be somewhere around 3 PSI in these motors.

We got a little off track, as is usual around here when we get on a passionate subject like the corn lobby wreaking havoc on older engines by pushing their ethanol. - I cannot remember if anyone suggested, or if you tried yet, using an outboard style tank directly to the fuel pump with fresh fuel in it to eliminate the rest of the fuel system??