X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rpowers
    • Oct 2007

Don't let this happen to you

Never leave the ignition key "on" for extended time.

Current will burn out the points.

Almost had a boat fire.

Ken, can I order a new points set?

See attached photo.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rpowers; 03-21-2010, 04:23 AM.
  • baileyem
    • Jun 2006

Why is current flowing if the points are open? Or even if they are closed, for that matter?

Mike

Comment

• Baltimore Sailor
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2007

If the ignition switch is ON, there is a current flowing through the primary ignition circuit. What the points do is fire the high voltage spark from the coil, in a way that I can't remember right off the top of my head, but which involves the opening and closing of the points (the high voltage spark fires when the points open).

From the time I learned to drive back in the early '70s when most cars had points, I was always told never to leave the key in the ON position for very long for exactly this reason.

Glad to see there wasn't a fire from that.

Comment

• roadnsky
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2008

This from the basics of the ignition process...

"In operation, when the ignition is on,
        current from the battery passes to the primary winding of the coil,
        through the breaker points of the distributor.
        Periodic opening and closing of the points causes the flow of current to start and stop.
        This causes an alternate build-up and collapse of the magnetic field around the primary winding of the coil.
        This fluctuating magnetic field cuts the secondary winding of the coil, causing a very high voltage to be induced in it.
        Current from the secondary of the ignition coil is then passed through the distributor cap and finally to the spark plug."

Confused?
        -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
        sigpic
        1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2008

I did it last year (twice) and had to order a new coil and electronic ignition each time!

Just ask Don...

(I think it is a sure sign of aging.)

Comment

• baileyem
            • Jun 2006

I understand how the regular ignition system with points works, but I thought that we were talking, and looking at a set of electronic 'points'. I thought that the burnt up outfit in the picture worked on a magnetic pulse....or something similar.

Mike

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

point protection back up

one way to eliminate that nasty consequence of leaving your key in the ON position is to install an oil pressure switch on the primary ignition circuit. in this way any time oil pressure drops below, say 7 lbs, the circuit opens. this is also helpful at startup since the engine must circulate some oil before it will fire. check the OP switches page at your local NAPA.

Comment

Working...
              X