X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • edwardc
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2009

Not to mention the predominantly southerly winds in the mid-Atlantic spring.
    @(^.^)@ Ed
    1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
    with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

Fuel Usage Final Figures

Filled tanks at North Wharf Edgartown so final return run usage recap follows:
      gallons used - 258.8
      total engine hous - 317.5
      gallons/hour - .815

by contrast the trip south:
      gallons used - 333
      total engine hours - 366
      gallons/hour - .9
      As has been mentioned above the trip north is always easier due to the prevailing favorabe winds. Also, I ran a little lower throttle to keep the vacuum higher. The interplay of rpm, vacuum, and boat speed have made it clear I am slightly overpropped and this will be corrected for next trip. The engine will be pulled and disassembled late this fall and wear data for the trip evaluated, but a new thread will be started for that.

Comment

• Mo
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2007

Good mileage.

That's pretty good mileage Hanley. Actually pretty good for the way down also. If I recall you had the wind on the nose on more than a few occasions on the way down. It's cool that you kept a record. If only I was as diligent.
        Mo

"Odyssey"
        1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
        The optimist expects it to change.
        The realist adjusts the sails.
        ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• jhwelch
          • Dec 2005

Hanley, 50 hours' difference -- that would be about 300 miles at 5 knots. Were your records for A to B and then B to A or did you take a side trip on the way home or have a shorter route on the way down, or maybe better winds and less waves coming home?

-jonathan

Comment

• hanleyclifford
            Afourian MVP
            • Mar 2010

Jonathan - Sorry, I forgot to mention that the trip south included a quick side trip up to Jacksonville Landing to collect my wife who flew down to meet me for the rest of the trip to Titusville. This was a 7 hour detour. Otherwise, the two runs are identical.

Comment

• jpian0923
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2010

Ok, so, I'll ask...did you calculate costs? Fuel , food, lodging/docking, repairs..etc.
              "Jim"
              S/V "Ahoi"
              1967 Islander 29
              Harbor Island, San Diego
              2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

Originally posted by jpian0923 View Post
                Ok, so, I'll ask...did you calculate costs? Fuel , food, lodging/docking, repairs..etc.
                I did and will shortly post fuel price and dollar figures. The rest will take a little longer but is doable.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Mar 2010

Electronic Ignition

Finally got around to installing my Moyer Marine EI kit on the Delco. Before the switch I checked the current distributor at 34 degrees dwell at .009" point gap. The EI unit checks in with a steady 50 degrees of dwell and 10.3 volts being delivered to coil+. Timing was set at 17 degrees BTDC at 1600 rpm (dist degrees), crankshaft degrees 34. This is the textbook spec. One slight glitch - the tach now reads about 100 rpm too high, probably the increased dwell. I'll either correct it or switch to an alternator tachometer like Neil. At present I have a Datcon. Edit: One more thing: The timing light showed a much steadier mark with the EI confirming Dave's (and mine) suspicion that the cam on the distributor had become unbalanced.
                  Last edited by hanleyclifford; 06-30-2012, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X