Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 174.192.13.96
Old 06-02-2018, 06:13 PM

We live in Freeport Maine...

...does anyone have a line on someone who knows how to fix an Atomic 4 in the Freeport ME area? We’ve dumped a ton of money into ours only to find a dead engine each and every time we get on the boat. The thing simply will not start. The last guy had the valves lapped over the winter and said he found a stuck intac alve on the last cylinder. Had all that fixed only to arrive to the same dead A4 we left in the fall. What is it with these things? They just will not run!
  #2   IP: 137.103.82.194
Old 06-02-2018, 06:33 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,026 Times in 721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM555 View Post
...does anyone have a line on someone who knows how to fix an Atomic 4 in the Freeport ME area? We’ve dumped a ton of money into ours only to find a dead engine each and every time we get on the boat. The thing simply will not start. The last guy had the valves lapped over the winter and said he found a stuck intac alve on the last cylinder. Had all that fixed only to arrive to the same dead A4 we left in the fall. What is it with these things? They just will not run!
We can teach you to be a better A4 mechanic than 95% of the "marine" mechanics out there.
That said, you need to hunt in the antique boat and antique car/tractor engine repair shops for a mech. The A4 is very similar to any number of 1930s era car and tractor engines and utterly unfamiliar to someone who connects a computer to a fuel injected V8 or common rail electronic diesel.
The Following User Says Thank You to joe_db For This Useful Post:
Administrator (06-02-2018)
  #3   IP: 174.192.13.96
Old 06-02-2018, 07:01 PM

Not smart enough to fix it myself. Just make it worse. Well, if anyone has any leads on someone, I’d appreciate hearing from them. We are off the water for now.
  #4   IP: 24.152.132.140
Old 06-02-2018, 07:31 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles and even more sorry you feel incapable of learning the engine yourself. The mantra around here is if we can do it, anyone can. I have nothing to offer regarding a Freeport area referral due to living on the opposite coast but I would like to redirect one of your comments:
Quote:
We’ve dumped a ton of money into ours [A4] only to find a dead engine each and every time we get on the boat
Actually you've dumped a ton of money on mechanics lacking in skill and experience with an old technology gas engine (see Joe's comment). I hope you find a good one because then you will learn what a wonderful engine the Atomic 4 really is.

One other thought:
If you prefer to not learn the basics of this engine (absolutely your choice) what are you going to do when you're out on the water some distance from home and something goes wrong? Y'know, things go wrong on all engines sooner or later, sooner if they aren't maintained properly and not just the Atomic 4. Same goes for diesels (that's why there are so many diesel mechanics around the port) and outboards (just check any launch ramp on a big holiday). Who are you going to call at sea?
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
  #5   IP: 174.192.13.96
Old 06-02-2018, 07:54 PM

Glad to hear you say the A4 is such a wonderful engine, but honestly our experience teaches us just the opposite. Completely unreliable, and the skill set needed to keep the engine operating correctly apparently no longer exists in the market place.

I am simply not smart enough to fix the engine, we usually address that limitation by having a motor in tip-top shape at all times. This event teaches that simply isn’t possible with an A4. Like an old Italian sports car, you can’t take a drive without an Italian mechanic on board!
  #6   IP: 174.192.13.96
Old 06-02-2018, 08:49 PM

I guess what I’m trying to say is that if it’s so hard to keep an A4 running that two individuals who go to work each and every day fixing gas/diesel engines and have over 60 years experience between them have both struck out, how can a guy like me, who barely knows what a “spark” is and wouldn’t have a clue how to “check for one” do better?
  #7   IP: 70.186.210.78
Old 06-02-2018, 09:21 PM

If you can tell the difference between a wrench and screwdriver, then you can learn basic maintenance of an A4. I completely disassembled and rebuilt an A4 just by following the instructions in the Moyer manual. I recommend getting the manual before you throw in the towel. It's very easy reading, explains all of the systems of the a4, and is filled with easy to follow trouble shooting guides.

Last edited by Tim; 06-02-2018 at 09:33 PM.
  #8   IP: 32.211.28.40
Old 06-02-2018, 09:29 PM
Afourian MVP

GEM555,
Two questions - 1) do you have the Moyer Manual? 2) have you read it?
I've owned one boat with 3 diesels - two Perkins 6-354 for propulsion and an Onan genset. I can work on most of a diesel, but can't do the injectors or the injection pumps. Breakdown at sea and I'm dead.
I can't think of anything on an Atomic 4 that's beyond a repair at sea.
A lot of stuff that's blamed on the Atomic 4 is actually add-on stuff - usually a bad exhaust system allowing water back into the engine.
It sounds like your engine has a basic fault, likely related to the exhaust system. Next time you have a no start, give it a spray of starting ether and try it - this will identify either spark or fuel issues. If a valve is hung up, a compression check may be needed.
Give us a chance here. If we can't come and play doctor, you'll have to play nurse and give us the symptoms - we can then try and diagnose.
But please, don't tell us what a lousy engine the A4 is! You'll get nothing but argument here. Personally, I've been doing A4s for 30 years and have done 2 overhauls. I know they're good engines.
  #9   IP: 24.152.132.140
Old 06-02-2018, 10:45 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM555 View Post
I guess what I’m trying to say is that if it’s so hard to keep an A4 running that two individuals who go to work each and every day fixing gas/diesel engines and have over 60 years experience between them have both struck out, how can a guy like me, who barely knows what a “spark” is and wouldn’t have a clue how to “check for one” do better?
What I'm trying to say (I've said it before in similar circumstances) is your mechanics obviously couldn't cut the mustard. The fact they couldn't deliver results is proof enough. I realize you're frustrated with poor performance and big expense but the reality is this is an exceedingly simple engine. Doubting your own abilities is understandable, we often preach pick yer battles but because two so called experienced professional ($$) mechanics couldn't get what is basically a lawn mower engine to run reliably is not the fault of the engine or its design.

From your comments thus far it is clear to me you've made your mind up the engine cannot be made to run reliably. You'll have a hard time convincing the members of this forum of that but I'll accept it's where you're at. It suggests this type of engine and you are not a good match and will continue to be a source of aggravation. Nobody wants that and it will surely make your boating stressful.

This is the first time in nearly 8000 posts I've made on this forum that I've suggested the following: maybe you're a candidate for an electric drive or if you think you have a good diesel mechanic available, perhaps a diesel repower is the way to go. However, if the diesel mechanics in your area are as unskilled as the two mechanics you've already run across you'll be in the exact same spot with a diesel as you are right now with the A4.

The goal is for you to enjoy your boat whatever it takes. Best of luck.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ndutton For This Useful Post:
Administrator (06-03-2018), Graham (07-03-2018)
  #10   IP: 8.40.215.126
Old 06-04-2018, 01:27 PM

Gem555,

Hopefully the fine folks here haven't made you leave in despair. I know you were just looking for recommendations of someone who could make your A4 all better, and instead you got lots of DIY advice.

I fully agree with what everyone is telling you, if you want to enjoy your older A4 powered sailboat, and ~$15K for a diesel repower isn't in the cards, then you really should learn a bit about that engine and get your hands dirty.

But ... a third option is to just find another good A4 out there and do an engine swap. Fortunately, the Catalina 30 is about the easiest boat to do such a swap in. Find a good running, or freshly rebuilt A4 and have your boat yard swap it in.

Oh, lookee there, a rebuilt A4 in your neck of the woods for $2500: https://maine.craigslist.org/bpo/d/r...576861602.html

Last edited by wristwister; 06-04-2018 at 01:31 PM.

Tags
Dead A4. Again!!!