• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

I'll Be Back

All right, Schmartzenheimers, just wait 'till I get back from my geriatricians's clinic, Dave and I will show you a hoarse race.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Banter banter

Hanley will the "hoarse" race be from banter back and forth?
      Kelly you dare to mention the "holley grail" of Atomic powered yacht racing of 10 MPH, why you could even get a ticket in the marina at such speeds.

Wouldn't that be something to show the P/V boyz

On a serious note, does anyone know if Tom Stevens has a graph that shows how much power his Indigo prop uses at any specific RPM's. I would be curious and willing to compile some similar performance figures using RPM and manifold preassure as a baseline. I just made a noticeable performance improvement on my old beastie tinkerin' with the carb. It's what I was working on at the end of last season and I finally got to try it on the water not on the dock lines.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
        • Nov 2008

Is This Something New?

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
        I don't think you would notice any differanc on a direct drive set up and seriously doubt that it would be noticeable on a hi-rpm reduction set up unless you were running a dry stack. That little engine just doesn't pump that much air even at 30HP.
        As I have bragged and I'll bet my old tired A-4's performance numbers with 25' 1 1/4 pipe 1 1/2" hose will beat or meet anyones.
        I'm open for attack.

Dave Neptune
        The sail boat races I participate in are raced under [U]sail![U]

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

The old Great Ocean Race was done with both

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
          The sail boat races I participate in are raced under [U]sail![U]

TRUE GRIT
          Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

• Dave Neptune
            • Jan 2007

Racing

Hey Grit, you ever done a "predicted log race" in a sailboat? It's fun and coming in ahead of any of the PB's sure gets under their skin.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
              I just made a noticeable performance improvement on my old beastie tinkerin' with the carb. It's what I was working on at the end of last season and I finally got to try it on the water not on the dock lines.

Dave Neptune
              Dave, why do you always tease us so!?!?!?!?
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                • Jan 2007

Tease

Shawn, perhaps I should start a thread on this sometime. I have been unhappy with the way the carb transfers from the idle circuit to the hi-speed circuit. This is something I have talked to Don about and he expressed the same opinion. I have been playing with fuel jetting and float levels with very little success. I also tried playing with the idle jet itself and am now convinced that the "hi-speed" circuit comes in to soon not the idle circuit hanging on too long. My most recent change was to start adjusting the amount of air in the "fuel-air" stream before it gets to the venturi. It made a big differance on how clean the plugs stay and the engine seems happier (smoother) and I picked up a bit of performance in the 1200 ~ 1600 rpm range and a solid gain at my cruise of 2000 RPM. I haven't done a WOT check yet however I don't expect much if anything at WOT.
                My RJ8J plugs now look a creamy grey which is about right. I may be able to add a bit of advance to the timing but haven't attempted that yet.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• lat 64
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
                  All right, Schmartzenheimers, just wait 'till I get back from my geriatricians's clinic, Dave and I will show you a hoarse race.
                  Speaking of horse racing, You should all know Russ' maxim for long distance adventure(and other things).

"It's not how fast you are, or how quick, it's how long you can stay in the saddle that counts"

Words to live by.

R.

Walk on.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by lat 64; 05-19-2011, 08:39 PM.
                  sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

Working...
                  X