X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • infy
    • May 2019

Reverse gear making a scary noise

I've never had an A4 engine before so I just want to make sure I installed this one properly.

My forward gear clicks in to a position.

Reverse has no click. The shift control just travels aft. This is normal, right?

The further aft I set the shift control the louder and more alarming the noise is. Is that normal? How far aft do I need to set the shift control for reverse? Without blowing anything up.

I attached a video... it's just the sound of reverse.

• pearsontriton28
    • Nov 2017

Originally posted by infy View Post
    I've never had an A4 engine before so I just want to make sure I installed this one properly.

My forward gear clicks in to a position.

Reverse has no click. The shift control just travels aft. This is normal, right?

The further aft I set the shift control the louder and more alarming the noise is. Is that normal? How far aft do I need to set the shift control for reverse? Without blowing anything up.

I attached a video... it's just the sound of reverse.

https://youtu.be/2b7FKtHFIpA
    Mine works and sounds like yours.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Infy, reverse is accomplished via a planetary drive (thus the reduction) and maintaining pressure against the band. The planetary gears are VERY NOISEY when you bring the rpm's up and remember there is a 30% reduction in reverse so you need more rpm's for motion than in forward.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• infy
        • May 2019

Thanks everyone! I was worried I may have to yank the engine back out of the boat

Comment

Working...
        X